Lighting

Jenn84

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone, new to the saltwater world and realized I need to upgrade my lighting to pursue a mixed reef tank. Would be mostly soft and lps with minimal if any sps. I'm having a hard time deciding on a good light fixture. Currently running a current loop marine light but not the pro (came with the tank) I like the programmable features and timer on it . Looking at the current loop pro set up which includes 2 lights and is bluetooth for my 48 in 120 gal tank, a kessil ap700, or the maxspect razor. Any advice? Also I have glass tops which I would prefer to keep in place to reduce evaporation and to keep the cat out ( already had to almost go fishing for her once, during feeding time lol).

fishguy242

Cronies..... INSERT BUILD THREAD BADGE HERE !!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
hi welcome to the reef ...:)
just from experience ,no to new current's,keep yours to use as added actinic,have used the razor 420r was not happy with..;)lets ask a few others, @F i s h y @Eagle_Steve @MERKEY thoughts ?

Upvote 0

DH78

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I started with a current marine light when I thought I'd just do a fowlr. When I decided to get corals I got a 6 bulb ati sunpower and use the current light on just blues for the actinic pop and for the moonlight setting.
FTS.JPG

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Jenn84

Jenn84

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it is a standard 120g as mine was, 24x24x48 I ran 2 AI Hydra 52's and grew anything that I wanted, mainly softies and zoas as that is what I like, I did have a couple SPS pieces and placed them higher up.
It is a standard 120, I have not seen any ai hydra 52s for sale they r all 32 or 64 as those are the newest configurations and more than I prefer to spend.Brs investigates also suggests 3 of these lights for a tank this size.My problem with having 2 or even 3 lights is mounting where I want, with the setup I have. I don't want to hang from the ceiling mostly because of ascetic but due to having glass tops I'm limited on rim mounting. This leaves few options for mounting which is why I would prefer to have a single fixture as well. I have attached pics if you have suggestions.

Attachments

• 20210603_094616.jpg
    20210603_094616.jpg
    149 KB · Views: 19
  • 20210603_094633.jpg
    20210603_094633.jpg
    177.4 KB · Views: 20
  • 20210603_094639.jpg
    20210603_094639.jpg
    178 KB · Views: 20
Upvote 0

MERKEY

Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Out of the 3 I'd go Kessil but only from reviews and what I've heard about the company.....No real experience.

They will all light the tank.

If you want to go a little further get a t5 hybrid setup with some kessils ;)

Upvote 0

Eagle_Steve

Grandpa of Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Out of the 3 I'd go Kessil but only from reviews and what I've heard about the company.....No real experience.

They will all light the tank.

If you want to go a little further get a t5 hybrid setup with some kessils ;)
I agree with this and have moved a few tanks to kessils and T5. They were previously MH lit.

For the money, look into a 4 bulb 36” hybrid T5 and 2x a360we tuna blue Kessils. If you are not doing heavy sps, that will suffice and can always be added to later.

If you know you are going to go heavy later on, go with a 48” and 2x a360. More 360 can be added later if needed.

Also, you could do the ap700 alone for now, if you need extra light, buy the hybrid later. The Ap700 can be mounted to wall brackets with time stylish shelf brackets set into the studs. You may have to drill holes in the brackets for the light to be center on the tank, but a man easy/cheap way to get the light mounted.

Then there is going with the 4 bulb 48” hybrid fixture alone for now and as you stock the tank/funds become available, you by leds to get more coverage.

As for mounting, aquatic life has an awesome wall Mount for their fixtures. Works great and I love mine.

Of course, this is my opinion and with lighting you will get 1000 different ones.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Jenn84

Jenn84

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree with this and have moved a few tanks to kessils and T5. They were previously MH lit.

For the money, look into a 4 bulb 36” hybrid T5 and 2x a360we tuna blue Kessils. If you are not doing heavy sps, that will suffice and can always be added to later.

If you know you are going to go heavy later on, go with a 48” and 2x a360. More 360 can be added later if needed.

Also, you could do the ap700 alone for now, if you need extra light, buy the hybrid later. The Ap700 can be mounted to wall brackets with time stylish shelf brackets set into the studs. You may have to drill holes in the brackets for the light to be center on the tank, but a man easy/cheap way to get the light mounted.

Then there is going with the 4 bulb 48” hybrid fixture alone for now and as you stock the tank/funds become available, you by leds to get more coverage.

As for mounting, aquatic life has an awesome wall Mount for their fixtures. Works great and I love mine.

Of course, this is my opinion and with lighting you will get 1000 different ones.
Thanks for the input, I have noticed everyone seems to have an opinion lol. Just when I think I've decided on a light and about to order I see or read something that makes me rethink my plan.

Upvote 0

Jbell370

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is a standard 120, I have not seen any ai hydra 52s for sale they r all 32 or 64 as those are the newest configurations and more than I prefer to spend.Brs investigates also suggests 3 of these lights for a tank this size.My problem with having 2 or even 3 lights is mounting where I want, with the setup I have. I don't want to hang from the ceiling mostly because of ascetic but due to having glass tops I'm limited on rim mounting. This leaves few options for mounting which is why I would prefer to have a single fixture as well. I have attached pics if you have suggestions.
You can get wall mount brackets or simply make them to facilitate hanging a light but not off the ceiling. Mine had the top rim with center brace and is why I went with 2 units, each one centered over each section. The 52's I suggested as you can find them used which may fit the budget better than some other units. I did for a while find an older unit that spanned the tank, the classic T5/MH combo....I did enjoy it, but hydro and heat are a concern.

Upvote 0

fishguy242

Cronies..... INSERT BUILD THREAD BADGE HERE !!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
What did you not like about the razor?
this was prob 5 yrs ago,but heat was an issue of light itself ,not heating water ,also started losing diodes ,few at a time,the fans were working.?? jme.. :)

Upvote 0

Oldreefer44

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are many choices out there and most will recommend what they have. Since I own none of the above you can consider this an unbiased opinion.. Of those you mention, I would go with Kessil. I had Razors at one time and had numerous diodes burn out so got rid of them.

Upvote 0

Uncle99

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you looking for lights that grow corals or lights that grow corals and have lots of control?

Huge difference in price range.

Cheapest option IMM would be 2, Hypereef 150 mounted on arms.

From here, the sky is the limit.
Minimum is enough intensity, correct spectrum.
I like at least 100-150 over every 24x24x24 area.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Jenn84

Jenn84

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you looking for lights that grow corals or lights that grow corals and have lots of control?

Huge difference in price range.

Cheapest option IMM would be 2, Hypereef 150 mounted on arms.

From here, the sky is the limit.
Minimum is enough intensity, correct spectrum.
I like at least 100-150 over every 24x24x24 area.
I just want a decent quality light that dosent cost a fortune, keeps coral happy and growing,and gives enough control to allow me to program ramp up and down times and without having so much control I defeat the purpose. I have a few preferences on mounting and don't want a bunch of light spilling into my livingroom.

Upvote 0

Uncle99

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just want a decent quality light that dosent cost a fortune, keeps coral happy and growing,and gives enough control to allow me to program ramp up and down times and without having so much control I defeat the purpose. I have a few preferences on mounting and don't want a bunch of light spilling into my livingroom.
Cheap and programming don’t usually come well together.
Your fortune and mine can be widely different.
I turn my lights on and off, that’s it. Hard to reck that.
I grow everything including Acros and Maxi Clams under two, 150 lights, but just on/off.
Corals don’t care ramp, no ramp, moon storms, people like this.
Corals want correct PAR and spectrum and delivered, consistently every day same,same, same, then a dark “rest” period of photosynthesis.
AE2B3B5A-96B4-4ADA-A508-F5C54812A946.jpeg

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Jenn84

Jenn84

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cheap and programming don’t usually come well together.
Your fortune and mine can be widely different.
I turn my lights on and off, that’s it. Hard to reck that.
I grow everything including Acros and Maxi Clams under two, 150 lights, but just on/off.
Corals don’t care ramp, no ramp, moon storms, people like this.
Corals want correct PAR and spectrum and delivered, consistently every day same,same, same, then a dark “rest” period of photosynthesis.
AE2B3B5A-96B4-4ADA-A508-F5C54812A946.jpeg
I work nights but never the same nights so that's why I want something automatic. I may be up and home by 0715 some mornings and others not. By that same token I have kids involved in multiple activities and may or may not be home by the same time. Not to mention going out of town, I can have someone check on my tanks and have a feeder set up but totally different story getting someone to go turn lights off and on every day. I have always ran freshwater without timmer no big deal but thats a little different than coral.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Jenn84

Jenn84

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I work nights but never the same nights so that's why I want something automatic. I may be up and home by 0715 some mornings and others not. By that same token I have kids involved in multiple activities and may or may not be home by the same time. Not to mention going out of town, I can have someone check on my tanks and have a feeder set up but totally different story getting someone to go turn lights off and on every day. I have always ran freshwater without timmer no big deal but thats a little different than coral.
Beautiful tank by the way.

Upvote 0

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 57 50.4%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 62 54.9%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 25 22.1%
  • None.

Votes: 28 24.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 8.0%
Back