Lighting

redrocketfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Starting a new 55 gallon reef tank and looking for suggestions on what kind of lighting I need. I would prefer led.

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Budget and coral type preferred?

I would use 1 ap9x from kessil.

Upvote 0

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im a beginner,so I’m looking to start with soft corals. Low to medium budget.
Starting and end point are 2 completely different things. Lighting take the time to save and get something good. Even after the tank gets wet, you still have a couple months before coral. You don't want to spend money twice

Last edited:
Upvote 0

dedragon

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im a beginner,so I’m looking to start with soft corals. Low to medium budget.
For budget people need a dollar amount as low to medium for some can mean a drastically different number from others.

As jekyl said, buy once and never regret. You dont want to have to buy another set of lights down the road. Some lights are also easier to add to with led bars but sometimes that isnt an option given preferred mounting, number of outlets used, or even just aesthetics

Upvote 0

Bpb

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Devils advocate here, but most people end up changing lights like they change their socks. Even when they spend big. Lights are important, but it’s easy to hyper focus on lighting nuances and forget the big picture of water chemistry and flow. I’d recommend starting with some of the quanta reef strips. They’re decent quality and relatively inexpensive. Lots of info in here about them if you search. They’re generally very well liked

Upvote 0

thatmanMIKEson

Reefing ain't easy$
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Devils advocate here, but most people end up changing lights like they change their socks. Even when they spend big. Lights are important, but it’s easy to hyper focus on lighting nuances and forget the big picture of water chemistry and flow. I’d recommend starting with some of the quanta reef strips. They’re decent quality and relatively inexpensive. Lots of info in here about them if you search. They’re generally very well liked
That's true I have changed lights allot :) and added several on one tank and about to add to that one again, so I agree with the lighting side, It does change and it should with time and growth.

I dont have any experience with the quanta lights but, I would research anything you are interested in.

Upvote 0

Gary67

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
looking to buy new lights for a 75 g reef tan. My 48 inch razor burnt out and i'm using 2 32 AI hydra for the tank now I don't know if its strong enough for growing acroporas.I have a bar in the middle of the tank so i cant put another AI 32 i don't think it's enough lighting. People are talking about the new strip lighting and it's not that crazy in price. so if anybody has a idea please let me know could use the help thanks Gary

Upvote 0

fodsod

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use the ReefBreeders V2 pro 48 on my 90g mixed reef. Reefbreeders has a good warranty, decent ability to adjust as needed, not bad price wise and will 100% grow any corals. @Battlecorals uses Reefbreeders LEDs to grow amazing acros.

Upvote 0

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 32 17.4%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 32 17.4%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 33 17.9%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 79 42.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.3%
Back