Lightly chipped 120 Gallon option for new tank?

LandLockedJones

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hope this is the right spot for this.

Considering purchasing a used 120Gal tank, listed for a good price with a stand. Mentioned that there are a few chips along the outer edge. Guys got the whole tank stand and sump listed for $200. To the untrained eye, I am not terribly concerned about the first photo. Being that the chips are along the outer edge and from this angle I see no running cracks. But I wanted to toss something up here to see what people might think, specifically about the second image.

Reef120.jpg

reef120.2.jpg

I can only see signs of cracking in the second photo personally. Toward the top of each. My biggest concern is how close they are to the silicone seal. I feel as though if it started to leak, it would leak fast in these locations.

Thank you for any input!

tankstudy

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I was placing this in a warehouse with concrete floor, I might consider it but inside a house with carpet and etc, I'd pass. Cheap now but very costly if it blows out.

HankstankXXL750

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Hope this is the right spot for this.

Considering purchasing a used 120Gal tank, listed for a good price with a stand. Mentioned that there are a few chips along the outer edge. Guys got the whole tank stand and sump listed for $200. To the untrained eye, I am not terribly concerned about the first photo. Being that the chips are along the outer edge and from this angle I see no running cracks. But I wanted to toss something up here to see what people might think, specifically about the second image.

Reef120.jpg

reef120.2.jpg

I can only see signs of cracking in the second photo personally. Toward the top of each. My biggest concern is how close they are to the silicone seal. I feel as though if it started to leak, it would leak fast in these locations.

Thank you for any input!
The price sound great, but I would have to look at those cracks from the other angle
To see how deep they go compared to the width of the adjoining glass. If it is tank and stand only, you are going to spend a lot more money to get it up and running. Then your going to spend a considerable amount on livestock. The cost savings on the tank might not be worth it if you come home, not to find a leak, but a blown seam and all your livestock dead or dying on the floor.
IMHO

OP
OP
LandLockedJones

LandLockedJones

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, I am just trying to decide whether its worth the trip to look at it. Been watching for a while to find a good deal on a larger aquarium. I agree though, seems like it isn't worth the risk. I know peoples tanks get chipped and run fine for years. This guy even claims he bought it this way and ran it a year. Buuuuuut, that is not my luck and is why I joined this group, should probably take the advice I get.

Especially when nearly all agree for a change...:face-with-hand-over-mouth::face-with-hand-over-mouth:

Thanks everybody! Will post some more details maybe if I go look at it.

ScottJ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The price sound great, but I would have to look at those cracks from the other angle
To see how deep they go compared to the width of the adjoining glass.

i think the first photo is the other angle, chips seem about the same place. But I would probably pass too.

OP
OP
LandLockedJones

LandLockedJones

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i think the first photo is the other angle, chips seem about the same place. But I would probably pass too.
Very good observation, I actually confirmed that with him earlier. It is 2 sides of the same 2 chips. Found a 110gal I am going to check out tomorrow instead.

SteveMM62Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Check Craigslist and Amazon Marketplace, something better will come up. Also Check with Local Aquarium Society’s. Something better is out there.

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.1%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 43 34.7%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 39 31.5%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 31 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.8%
Back