Lights down for new SPS? danged if you do, danged if you don't.

Opes

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree with nitrates and phosphates not being an issue, I find the best growth once I let my phosphates climb to the .11-.15 range. I keep a frag rack on the back wall that’s 220 Par. After dipping and placing on new plugs I put them there for a few days and make sure all is well then they go right to there permanent home.
He says his phosphate levels are way higher than that. .7>.15 by a good margin.

OP
OP
pseudorand

pseudorand

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nevermind, saw where he said they fell to .15
I change Phosguard every 4 days per package instructions. The had been slowly falling with that routine for a few months from .15 to .7. Despite continuing the Phosguard routine, they spikes to .15 again since adding frags and turning down the lights.

T-J

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I change Phosguard every 4 days per package instructions. The had been slowly falling with that routine for a few months from .15 to .7. Despite continuing the Phosguard routine, they spikes to .15 again since adding frags and turning down the lights.
You're only supposed to replace it if the levels are not dropping. I think you might have stripped the water too fast.

Hydrored

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will give credit to @Charlie’s Frags and I stopped worrying about phosphates climbing, my SPS have never looked better than the past month and growing great. So what I get a bit of algae growth, thats what the cuc crew and tangs are for. I had a phosphate drop after using sps booster and evo and dosed phosphates to watch the coral color up even better. Now i just let it roll and test to make sure things aren’t way out of line and I will not use GFO again. If anything a small dose of phosphate e for adjustments if needed

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 111 87.4%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 6.3%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.4%
Back