Lights for a 36 inch-long by 12 inch wide tank?

Hooz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well! I think I was suggested every option there is! I should have known!!!!! at least you were the first one that suggested my initial thought!! lol
I like the Photon V2, too. My only issue was that to get good color blending, you really need to mount it pretty high over the tank. I didn't want that much light spilling into the room.

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not sure I would recognize good vs bad color blending. Can the average person discern the difference?

nereefpat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you've ever seen the disco ball effect, you'd know. Probably bothers some more than others.

OP
OP
moz71

moz71

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All good points. As of right now. I was between the AtI 4 bulb and the reef breeder. With bulbs, cost will be a pout same. I just don’t know I want to deal with bulb replacement. If I go with the 16 primes cost will go up with needing three. So many pros and cons of each! Urg!!

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Less plugs/cords was a consideration for me.

Hooz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not sure I would recognize good vs bad color blending. Can the average person discern the difference?

If you've ever seen the disco ball effect, you'd know. Probably bothers some more than others.

Yes. Color blending is typically referred to as the "discoball effect". Seeing blotches of color jumping around (easiest to see on the sandbed) in the tank. The reason we have all the different colored LEDs in our light fixtures is because the corals need a variety of wavelengths of light to thrive. If your eye can see blotches jumping around, then how is that affecting the coral?

Raising the light increases blending, but then you start sacrificing intensity (PAR) and putting a lot more light into the room AROUND instead of IN the tank.

That's partly why T5 and metal halides with big reflectors are still popular in the age of LEDs. They provide an even blanket of light with no color splotches. Newer LED fixtures are trying to mimic that.

shakacuz

hang loose, cuz
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
All good points. As of right now. I was between the AtI 4 bulb and the reef breeder. With bulbs, cost will be a pout same. I just don’t know I want to deal with bulb replacement. If I go with the 16 primes cost will go up with needing three. So many pros and cons of each! Urg!!
can always look for things second hand? reedbreeders and AI both are very reputable companies. i am sure you can find things used way cheaper.

personally, i currently own an AI Hydra 32HD coupled with the reefbrite xho k26 kit. like i've mentioned earlier in the thread, i will now be changing to 2 SMATFARM LEDs, and 2 ALIEXPRESS LED bars (am leaning towards 1 bar) and this set up will outcompete the hydra in both $$ and PAR.

OP
OP
moz71

moz71

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
can always look for things second hand? reedbreeders and AI both are very reputable companies. i am sure you can find things used way cheaper.

personally, i currently own an AI Hydra 32HD coupled with the reefbrite xho k26 kit. like i've mentioned earlier in the thread, i will now be changing to 2 SMATFARM LEDs, and 2 ALIEXPRESS LED bars (am leaning towards 1 bar) and this set up will outcompete the hydra in both $$ and PAR.
I did look at those lights as you suggested. Just can’t find much reviews and the Ali express. I guess I just feel I want more feedback.(comfort) what did you hear about these lights that pushing you this way?

shakacuz

hang loose, cuz
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
I did look at those lights as you suggested. Just can’t find much reviews and the Ali express. I guess I just feel I want more feedback.(comfort) what did you hear about these lights that pushing you this way?
they are cheap, easy to program(set it and forget it), and put out the same PAR, if not more PAR than big box companies like ecotech, ai, kessil, orphek, etc

i am at the point in my reefing hobby/journey that i would rather save money to equipment knowing it works the same or better than the more expensive kind, so i can invest more money/time in livestock. it is easy to spend more money on something that has a lot more reviews and support behind it, but if you look enough you will find that people swear by the smatfarm LED's as well as the aliexpress LED bars.

look at this video:

as well as:

those videos speak on the aliexpress LED bars.

OP
OP
moz71

moz71

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
they are cheap, easy to program(set it and forget it), and put out the same PAR, if not more PAR than big box companies like ecotech, ai, kessil, orphek, etc

i am at the point in my reefing hobby/journey that i would rather save money to equipment knowing it works the same or better than the more expensive kind, so i can invest more money/time in livestock. it is easy to spend more money on something that has a lot more reviews and support behind it, but if you look enough you will find that people swear by the smatfarm LED's as well as the aliexpress LED bars.

look at this video:

as well as:

those videos speak on the aliexpress LED bars.

Thanks for your input and info. I am also a believer in cost doesn’t equal value in all, especially this hobby. On my main tank I have vipraspectra lighting and almost all Jabeo pumps and happy with them ( not much SPS though. (Yet). I will take a look at your links. Thanks again

shakacuz

hang loose, cuz
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Thanks for your input and info. I am also a believer in cost doesn’t equal value in all, especially this hobby. On my main tank I have vipraspectra lighting and almost all Jabeo pumps and happy with them ( not much SPS though. (Yet). I will take a look at your links. Thanks again
by all means i can speak on my experience with my hydra 32hd and reefbrite, but soon, when i make the switch i can speak on my experiences and perhaps challenges with the new lighting. good luck!

OP
OP
moz71

moz71

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
by all means i can speak on my experience with my hydra 32hd and reefbrite, but soon, when i make the switch i can speak on my experiences and perhaps challenges with the new lighting. good luck!
Just got 2 of the Smatfarms. I will let you know what I think when up. Still need to order the light bar

OP
OP
moz71

moz71

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ah and just saw on another post price went up a couple dollars since I bought 4 days ago. Must be going well for them!

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 28 29.8%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 74 78.7%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 16 17.0%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 8 8.5%
  • Other

Votes: 9 9.6%
Back