Lights for custom tank with an odd size. 44x36x25

Fishf00d

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've got a custom Miracles aquarium being built and I'll need to get lights at some point. I was looking at 2 reef breeder photon 32 since my lfs is running them on all of his tanks, but I like the shimmer of the kessil. I have a pair of diy t5 lights I can throw on also. I'm planning on having the lights off the water about 15 to 20 inches or higher if they can handle it and will have a canopy that runs from ceiling to the tank so everything will be hidden.

Would 1 kessil a500 with some t5 or led bars work or should I shoot for 2 a500. I'm open to other options but really didn't want to go more than maybe 2 kessil a500 price tag to start as the custom tank was a tad pricey.

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Kessil are not even on the same level as the RBs for coral growth, IMO. Kessils are underpowered toys to me best suited for nanos and small tanks. However, some like them, so get other opinons.

In your scenario, the RBs are a good choice. Go and find therman build or sale threads. He uses RBs up high turned way up. ...some of the best results out there.

If you need a shimmer, then maybe find a used Kessil to go in between them just for that and not rely on it for growing stuff.

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have kessil and would recommend a T5 hybrid if using them.

Franksreef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've got a custom Miracles aquarium being built and I'll need to get lights at some point. I was looking at 2 reef breeder photon 32 since my lfs is running them on all of his tanks, but I like the shimmer of the kessil. I have a pair of diy t5 lights I can throw on also. I'm planning on having the lights off the water about 15 to 20 inches or higher if they can handle it and will have a canopy that runs from ceiling to the tank so everything will be hidden.

Would 1 kessil a500 with some t5 or led bars work or should I shoot for 2 a500. I'm open to other options but really didn't want to go more than maybe 2 kessil a500 price tag to start as the custom tank was a tad pricey.
You’ll get good shimmer out of hydras and radions. I would get 4 hydra32s. Or 4 xr15 radions.

Fusion in reefing: How do you feel about grafted corals?

• I strongly prefer grafted corals and I seek them out to put in my tank.

Votes: 3 3.2%
  • I find grafted corals appealing and would be open to having them in my tank.

Votes: 52 55.3%
  • I am indifferent about grafted corals and am not enthusiastic about having them in my tank.

Votes: 29 30.9%
  • I have reservations about grafted corals and would generally avoid having them in my tank.

Votes: 7 7.4%
  • I have a negative perception and would avoid having grafted corals in my tank.

Votes: 3 3.2%
Back