Lights for Waterbox cuz wife hates my kessils

theasherrr

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve got a 100.3 reef tank from waterbox and I put up one of my kessils and immediately she vetoed them. I think I’m going to need two no matter what since I’ve got the drain in the middle and no way to mount from ceiling. Ideally something with a square look. Did some research but everything I’ve found is about folks who are on a budget. I don’t have a budget really but I’m not trying to spend 900$ on one light.

mdb_talon

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did some research but everything I’ve found is about folks who are on a budget. I don’t have a budget really but I’m not trying to spend 900$ on one light.

That sounds like someone on a budget lol. I mean you could go with some xr30 (for $900). Depending on par you want two xr15's may work, a couple hydra 32 is another popular light that would work. Several other names brands you can look at and many others that would do the job great, but those are for those people "on a budget".

OP
OP
theasherrr

theasherrr

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That sounds like someone on a budget lol. I mean you could go with some xr30 (for $900). Depending on par you want two xr15's may work, a couple hydra 32 is another popular light that would work. Several other names brands you can look at and many others that would do the job great, but those are for those people "on a budget".
Let me edit it than. If I’m more motivated by quality and being the best for my tank, what would you recommend. Money isn’t the driving factor.

Sean Clark

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Old wife doesn't like Kessils... Time for team new wife....
watching orange is the new black GIF

mdb_talon

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Let me edit it than. If I’m more motivated by quality and being the best for my tank, what would you recommend. Money isn’t the driving factor.

I would say the Hydra 32 would be a good option going name brand with the bells and whistles(app control,many channels,etc). I am not a huge fan of the AI app, but personally think it's a lot better than Mobius.

It sounds like this is not the option you would want but personally I would get two Nicrew 150s.... They are a budget light but I still like them more than my hydra 32, xr30, or kessils(I currently use them all and more on various tanks). They use a handheld controller(so no app which may be an issue depending on your desires).

Gedxin

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What exactly did your wife veto? The shimmer effect from the Kessil? Leds are going to have that to some extent no matter what.

Do you need a canopy to block the blinding effect?

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Reefi uno 2.0 is more powerful than the mainstream lights and built well, comes with 3 yr warranty vs 1 from competitors. It is square. So there you have it.

FYI I would not do radions if you need wife approval. They have horrible glare so if it is near a living space, it is quite horrible and the shades they make for them are probably not her style if she doesn’t like how kessils look. I have radions so that’s how I know!

Last edited:

eyecandi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would go with two Radion xr15 or two AI Hydra 32. I like the xr15 more but AI app is more user friendly than Mobius app.

OP
OP
theasherrr

theasherrr

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Reefi uno 2.0 is more powerful than the mainstream lights and built well, comes with 3 yr warranty vs 1 from competitors. It is square. So there you have it.

FYI I would not do radions if you need wife approval. They have horrible glare so if it is near a living space, it is quite horrible and the shades they make for them are probably not her style if she doesn’t like how kessils look. I have radions so that’s how I know!
This is good to know. It’s in our living room so she wants it basically like a display tank

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 40 43.0%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 20 21.5%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 31 33.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.2%
Back