Lights In The Night - NWFK's 125G Flashlight Fish Build!

OP
OP
Northwest_Scapes_

Northwest_Scapes_

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone! So, just like usual lately, not a ton of news / updates to go over. The only big thing is that the 55g QT Tank is almost up. I was able to clean out the canister filter, took out all the sand and water (from previous setup), and I'm currently scrubbing all the algae off the glass (It should go away with time even if I miss some spots considering the tank will obviously be saltwater + it's going to be dark almost 24/7).

One thing I will add is that it seems like it doesn't matter what Salt you use, in terms of it's Coral Salt or Normal Salt (Normal Salt as in like Instant Ocean and Coral Salt as in things like Fritz RPM) I asked Jay Hemdal this and he told me that he hasn't seen a difference when using either type of salt so that's good.

Also, as much as I thought it would be a cool idea, this tank will have NO NPS Corals. I thought making a Deep Water Reef Tank for the Flashlights would be, there are a lot of problems that would make it so both Fish and Coral would be miserable. Flashlight fish don't like a ton of flow, but NPS do, etc. Also, having corals and inverts aren't a possibility either since they're could be parasites and other things I've learned that could de-rail the tank. So no CUC, which means I'll have to be on top of Maintenance (especially since they should be fed Twice a Day) Which I am completely prepared for. I still need to get the PVC Pipe pieces for the QT Tank to act as Hides, but that's a pretty easy task. Pictures to come soon!

OP
OP
Northwest_Scapes_

Northwest_Scapes_

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone! Not a ton of news again unfortunately, school starts backup for me tomorrow, in person, so that will take up more of my time again. The QT should be up tonight! I'll be talking more about QT once I make that post.

One thing I will touch on though since I originally wanted to keep One Fin Flashlight Fish (Photoblepharon Palpebratus) but now I'm more focused on the Split Fin Flashlight Fish (Anomalops katoptron) because sometimes Palpebratus can fight with each other, and while they are hardier + have their photophore "on" (Basically just exposed) more, they cost from what I've seen up to 2x the price of Katoptron, so until I'm more experienced with this group, I don't want to take the risk of losing these guys to aggression issues. But back to what I was going to talk about, when I first talked to Jay Hemdal around the beginning of October last year (wow time goes by fast), he told me that he revised the "Best Temperature" Range for both Palprebratus and Katoptron from his article in CORAL MAGAZINE which is the same one here on R2R.

Basically, Palprebratus (One Fin) like it around 75 F, which is just 1 F more since in the article it was 74 F. For Katoptron (Split Fin), they like it around 71F - 73F. which in the article while there was no specific temp section for Katoptron, just generally it looked like around 72F-74F. So just a tad cooler. I thought this would be useful here if anyone else is looking to setup a tank for these guys. I'll post more updates on things he's revised since that article came out.

See everyone (hopefully) soon! Maybe even tonight!

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 4 20.0%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 16 80.0%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 4 20.0%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 1 5.0%
  • Other

Votes: 2 10.0%
Back