Introducing my home 17k gallon reef

dough

Reefing since '95
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm amazed by your tank, the vision and the effort that it took create and build such a system. I have so many questions. But my first burning question that I don't think I saw answered, is how many fish do you have in your system now?

OP
OP
H

Hedgedrew

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Been experimenting with H2O2 lately:

A single, 30 min 150 ppm H2O2 bath is looking very promising. :)

And dosing 1-2 ml of 3% H2O2 per 10 gallons every 12 hours for 30 days in a reef environment.
Can you elaborate on the reef environment exactly
I'm amazed by your tank, the vision and the effort that it took create and build such a system. I have so many questions. But my first burning question that I don't think I saw answered, is how many fish do you have in your system now?
somewhere between 15o and 200

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Humblefish. Whats the protocol to treating in display tank. I saw you left me that info but wasnt sure who has been doing it and what to look for

We've successfully tested 1 ml per 10 gallons of 3% H2O2 in a reef environment. Redose every 12 hours for 30 days. That has successfully eliminated velvet & uronema.

So far, SPS corals seem to be tolerating a higher dosage (1 ml per 8 gallons) as well.

I am currently working with a public aquarium to establish that 1 ml per 5 gallons is safe to administer in a FOWLR environment. (I'm confident that it is.)

Cannot stress how important it is to redose exactly every 12 hours. The peroxide will also last longer in the water if lights are off, so try to time dosage around your light schedule as much as possible. I.E. Dose #1 should occur at least 2 hours before lights come on; Dose #2 should occur shortly after lights are switched off. Therefore, it is best to only run lights for 8-10 hours per day when dosing H2O2.

OP
OP
H

Hedgedrew

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We've successfully tested 1 ml per 10 gallons of 3% H2O2 in a reef environment. Redose every 12 hours for 30 days. That has successfully eliminated velvet & uronema.

So far, SPS corals seem to be tolerating a higher dosage (1 ml per 8 gallons) as well.

I am currently working with a public aquarium to establish that 1 ml per 5 gallons is safe to administer in a FOWLR environment. (I'm confident that it is.)

Cannot stress how important it is to redose exactly every 12 hours. The peroxide will also last longer in the water if lights are off, so try to time dosage around your light schedule as much as possible. I.E. Dose #1 should occur at least 2 hours before lights come on; Dose #2 should occur shortly after lights are switched off. Therefore, it is best to only run lights for 8-10 hours per day when dosing H2O2.
Thankyou. I have advantage of no live coral. So follow instructions for fowlr?? Any change to carbon or skimmer ?? I assume no.

Neoalchemist

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for answering.

Have you ever given any thought to a large cichlid tank, like your saltwater monstrosity? It would be neat to authentically recreate their habitat on a giant scale.

I can’t wait to share your tank pictures with my students when we go back on Monday. This is the perfect example of hard work and dedication.

Anyway, thanks for sharing!
Might as well build an indoor bass lake or trout pond, at least then you might get a few meals out of it

twiatr2001

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
awesome tank, I couldn't imagine the cost of that let alone making it a full on reef! :eek:

emvanburen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great tank, thanks for sharing it! Given that this is pretty industrial size with automation etc, have you come across any tech or routines or systems that would be applicable on a scaled down dream tank?

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 20 42.6%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 11 23.4%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 15 31.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 2.1%
Back