Lil crab hitchhiker on kp aquatics

WyoMt.Chef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all trying to Id this little guy, came in on a kp aquatics order.

20210209_130639.jpg 20210209_130508.jpg

king aiptasia

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He's cute, I agree he is a type of Xanthid, I wouldn't trust him with fancy corals, if your tank is fowlr its safe otherwise sump him or give him to a local friend if you got invertebrates at risk. a lot of young folks might enjoy a pet crab as a first saltwater pet

OP
OP
W

WyoMt.Chef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like it could be a xanthid crab because of the black claws (I think)- if it has sharp black claws, get rid of it.
It does have some pointy pinchers and xanthid seems to be the only resemblance I can find, he's going to be deported. I'm seeing if someone might be interested. This is a new set up and I'm seeding my tank with kp's live rock. I already have a renegade gorilla in the tank that cared not about my hyper or hypo saline dip Thank you!

Attachments

• 20210209_144324.jpg
    20210209_144324.jpg
    81.6 KB · Views: 66
OP
OP
W

WyoMt.Chef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He's cute, I agree he is a type of Xanthid, I wouldn't trust him with fancy corals, if your tank is fowlr its safe otherwise sump him or give him to a local friend if you got invertebrates at risk. a lot of young folks might enjoy a pet crab as a first saltwater pet.

He's cute, I agree he is a type of Xanthid, I wouldn't trust him with fancy corals, if your tank is fowlr its safe otherwise sump him or give him to a local friend if you got invertebrates at risk. a lot of young folks might enjoy a pet crab as a first saltwater pet
Yea I'm gonna see if I can convince someone to take him and the 3 gorillas I've found so far

OP
OP
W

WyoMt.Chef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Care to take a stab at what these little blobs are lol. They're quite colorful!

Attachments

• 20210209_143203.jpg
    20210209_143203.jpg
    134.3 KB · Views: 60
  • 20210209_143212.jpg
    20210209_143212.jpg
    157.8 KB · Views: 59

duberii

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure about that first picture- does it move? Is it more round or flattened?

That second one is a chiton- pretty much a snail in the form of a pillbug. Good algae eater.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
It IS Xanthid and member of grouping Gorilla crabs and Not to be trusted. If you really feel its cute- Place in sump and enjoy it.

king aiptasia

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It does have some pointy pinchers and xanthid seems to be the only resemblance I can find, he's going to be deported. I'm seeing if someone might be interested. This is a new set up and I'm seeding my tank with kp's live rock. I already have a renegade gorilla in the tank that cared not about my hyper or hypo saline dip Thank you!
if you know any teens or non reefing friends talk to them and ask if they want to get started in an easy saltwater setup otherwise if you got enough gorillas maybe you could mail them to me, and I can compansate you for the trouble

OP
OP
W

WyoMt.Chef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure about that first picture- does it move? Is it more round or flattened?

That second one is a chiton- pretty much a snail in the form of a pillbug. Good algae eater.
Theyre stationary it seems so far like a solid gel. Only been in water though for 1hour

OP
OP
W

WyoMt.Chef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
if you know any teens or non reefing friends talk to them and ask if they want to get started in an easy saltwater setup otherwise if you got enough gorillas maybe you could mail them to me, and I can compansate you for the trouble
As of right now theyre hanging out in a jar with a little tank water. I have a gorilla to try and fish out of the rock still it looks to be quarter sized. I will try to rehab them from their journey and will keep you updated if they're doing well. You can just pay the shipping if they rehab and it's all good! Would a daily water change be ok for them. I am just getting started on this hobby and don't have any spare filters or anything. I do have a couple extra heaters.

king aiptasia

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As of right now theyre hanging out in a jar with a little tank water. I have a gorilla to try and fish out of the rock still it looks to be quarter sized. I will try to rehab them from their journey and will keep you updated if they're doing well. You can just pay the shipping if they rehab and it's all good! Would a daily water change be ok for them. I am just getting started on this hobby and don't have any spare filters or anything. I do have a couple extra heaters.
yeah this will be fine for them

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 53 84.1%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 4 6.3%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 3 4.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 4.8%
Back