Lime Rock for new tank

hsnydn

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,
I am planning for a 50 lt nano tank as a beginner. I have many missing information and trying to find the answers by reading and searching. Actually I was not worried about the rocks that i want to start with. I decided for dry and white rock.
However, i purchased some rocks that looks like okay and posted with information saying ‘it is ideal for marine tank’. The rock is called Lime Rock, I can see partially holes and probably crashed coral but mostly covered with white chalk it is super super dusty you can see the photos.

On internet, I found some information mentiones that those kind of rocks can help for PH and calcium level. I could not be sure about it. Anbody has information for this? Should i use them after rinsing, is it risky? Product information is like;

Akvastabil - Lime rock
Pieces ranging in size from 5-20cm sold by the kilo. Great for use as a base rock in marine aquariums and hard fresh water aquariums such as Lake cichlids.‘
9B1B50E9-C8FC-4E6E-9CB3-5BBBC228967B.jpeg
53D4C123-2DC9-41DC-BFFF-02DC5539B2F1.jpeg
33C64197-0354-4AA5-973F-9C5C1D9F0E3A.jpeg

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I personally would not ascot leeches and will have a heavy impact on ph and eventually alk

FBAA

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That looks like limestone from a quarry. It's going to be very high in carbonate and perhaps calcium hydroxide depending on where it is from. I would rinse and soak it it saltwater for a week and test the water for PH and Alkalinity.

Back in the 90's I used limestone for an aquascape without any problem. Back then Live rock was very expensive. I didn't have a problem but I wasn't testing for ALK like I do today.

Also, once the rock is coated with bacteria the leaching into the system will slow but not completely stop.

OP
OP
hsnydn

hsnydn

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That looks like limestone from a quarry. It's going to be very high in carbonate and perhaps calcium hydroxide depending on where it is from. I would rinse and soak it it saltwater for a week and test the water for PH and Alkalinity.

Back in the 90's I used limestone for an aquascape without any problem. Back then Live rock was very expensive. I didn't have a problem but I wasn't testing for ALK like I do today.

Also, once the rock is coated with bacteria the leaching into the system will slow but not completely stop.
Thanks, while i have chance to return the items , i will go for it. Otherwise i will do testing as you said.

FBAA

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks, while i have chance to return the items , i will go for it. Otherwise i will do testing as you said.
Realize that what you have is solid not porous like live/dry rock meant for a reef tank. You will have to suppliment somehow for bacteria coverage, sand, bio bricks, etc.

OP
OP
hsnydn

hsnydn

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Realize that what you have is solid not porous like live/dry rock meant for a reef tank. You will have to suppliment somehow for bacteria coverage, sand, bio bricks, etc.
Actually yes, that is also another important point.

Back