Limiting fan speed on Radion G5 safe?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

ajm83

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is it safe to limit the max fan speed, or can it shorten the LED/components lifespan? Does it affect warranty?

It seems like instead of ramping up gradually as needed, the fans just cycle from full blast -> nothing -> full blast.
And it's not the volume that's annoying, so much as the tone, it's quite intrusive.
Hoping a software update can be made to fix this cycling instead of ramping behavior, but in the meantime, hoping i can safely limit the fan speed. This is unacceptable for a tank in the living room.

Thanks

Sisterlimonpot

Effortless Perfection
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There is a software failsafe that dims the lights if the max set fan speed cant efficiently cool the unit.

Many have used fan speed as a work around to multiple fixture systems to set the intensity individually.

If you shake your device and it will allow you to send this suggestion directly to the dev's.

carmodpg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I cut the fan speed down on one of my lights that is over some LPS as a work around the overall intensity setting for the SPS. I “borrowed” the idea from Devin from ReefDudes who discussed how he uses it as a “hack” in the video below.

Harold999

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is it safe to limit the max fan speed, or can it shorten the LED/components lifespan? Does it affect warranty?

It seems like instead of ramping up gradually as needed, the fans just cycle from full blast -> nothing -> full blast.
And it's not the volume that's annoying, so much as the tone, it's quite intrusive.
Hoping a software update can be made to fix this cycling instead of ramping behavior, but in the meantime, hoping i can safely limit the fan speed. This is unacceptable for a tank in the living room.

Thanks
I had a Aquaknight led with exactly the same ramping behaviour, turned out to be a defective temperature controller. Got a new light and now it's fine. Fan is fully variable. I don't hear it anymore.

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 13 27.7%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 39 83.0%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 7 14.9%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 3 6.4%
  • Other

Votes: 2 4.3%
Back