Jimmyneptune

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a Lineatus wrasse that I just got from LA which is not eating and hiding in acclimation box. I have two sections of PVC zip tied together in acclimation box for him to hide in and that is all he does is hide. He will move from one section of PVC to the other but never when I am in the room. When he is in a PVC section where I can see his eyes his eyes look fine. He is upright, not laying on side, and appears to be breathing ok other than maybe a little bit stressed.

When acclimating the wrasse he did not swim much and he did seem to have his back arched to the side, leaving the possibility of some kind of physical injury. Usually when acclimating wrasse I find they will dart and try to jump, with this wrasse I emptied old water with a plastic cup and he barley responded at all.

He is in an acclimation box in a display tank no meds. I have tried feeding LRS and thawed frozen black worms and he has shown no interest but I do have other fish that try to get at the food voraciously and swim up to the box and try to eat.

I am not going to do meds, I feel like an anti-vaxer on this issue. The more meds suggested the deeper I dig in my heels. Stress kills; he is stressed.

Thinking of giving him some additional ability to hide by covering some of the walls of the box between display and box. I was thinking of adding some filter media pads, the blue and white ones, to two sides of the acclimation box to make opaque walls so he cannot see other fish.

Any thought, suggestions, and ideas on what to do, or not do, next would be great.

HotRocks

Fish Fanatic!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a Lineatus wrasse that I just got from LA which is not eating and hiding in acclimation box. I have two sections of PVC zip tied together in acclimation box for him to hide in and that is all he does is hide. He will move from one section of PVC to the other but never when I am in the room. When he is in a PVC section where I can see his eyes his eyes look fine. He is upright, not laying on side, and appears to be breathing ok other than maybe a little bit stressed.

When acclimating the wrasse he did not swim much and he did seem to have his back arched to the side, leaving the possibility of some kind of physical injury. Usually when acclimating wrasse I find they will dart and try to jump, with this wrasse I emptied old water with a plastic cup and he barley responded at all.

He is in an acclimation box in a display tank no meds. I have tried feeding LRS and thawed frozen black worms and he has shown no interest but I do have other fish that try to get at the food voraciously and swim up to the box and try to eat.

I am not going to do meds, I feel like an anti-vaxer on this issue. The more meds suggested the deeper I dig in my heels. Stress kills; he is stressed.

Thinking of giving him some additional ability to hide by covering some of the walls of the box between display and box. I was thinking of adding some filter media pads, the blue and white ones, to two sides of the acclimation box to make opaque walls so he cannot see other fish.

Any thought, suggestions, and ideas on what to do, or not do, next would be great.
How long have you had this fish?

OP
OP
Jimmyneptune

Jimmyneptune

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is my second day. I have been buying fish local and they are usually doing great by morning the next day.

HotRocks

Fish Fanatic!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is my second day. I have been buying fish local and they are usually doing great by morning the next day.
What you are seeing then is not abnormal for a Wrasse that has been shipped. How did you acclimate the fish? I'm assuming since the fish is in DT your salinity is around 1.024-1.026?

LA usually ships fish in water around 1.018. How did you make the transition?

I always set my QTs at 1.017 on a shipment arrival in order to be able to just float the bags to match temp and release the fish. I don't care for drip acclimating a shipped fish. As soon as you open the bag they are exposed to ammonia so dripping can cause problems.

JayKim

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I no longer buy any fish online. LA, unless it's diver's den, ships directly from wholesaler. Who knows what kind of shape your fish is in when it was shipped. I recently lost 2 rhomboids I got from LA 3 weeks ago. I got my Lineatus from LFS and it was eating as soon as I put him in the tank. Usually wrasses have very good appetite. The wrasses I got from LA ate on the first day, but as you know all fish are different. Anyways, hope it works out for you. Did your fish come from Cali?

Last edited:
OP
OP
Jimmyneptune

Jimmyneptune

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I no longer buy any fish online. LA, unless it's diver's den, ships directly from wholesaler. Who knows what kind of shape your fish is in when it was shipped. I recently lost 2 rhomboids I got from LA 3 weeks ago. I got my Lineatus from LFS and it was eating as soon as I put him in the tank. Usually wrasses have very good appetite. The wrasses I got from LA ate on the first day, but as you know all fish are different. Anyways, hope it works out for you. Did your fish come from Cali?
Fish was from Cali.
I try to buy local. My wrasse usually eat by next day.

OP
OP
Jimmyneptune

Jimmyneptune

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What you are seeing then is not abnormal for a Wrasse that has been shipped. How did you acclimate the fish? I'm assuming since the fish is in DT your salinity is around 1.024-1.026?

LA usually ships fish in water around 1.018. How did you make the transition?

I always set my QTs at 1.017 on a shipment arrival in order to be able to just float the bags to match temp and release the fish. I don't care for drip acclimating a shipped fish. As soon as you open the bag they are exposed to ammonia so dripping can cause problems.
Your spot on.
liveaquria rep said salinity would be 1.023 I checked anyway and salinity was 1.019. I floated bag for 15 minutes, I added 1 mil of prime to neutralize ammonia in water. I brought up salinity buy removing 5 oz bag water and adding 5 oz tank water every 5 minutes for 60-75 minutes. More or less raising salinity by .01 every 15 minutes.

JayKim

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fish was from Cali.
I try to buy local. My wrasse usually eat by next day.
So it was shipped from wholesaler. LA used to be great, always got healthy fish from them and had very few losses, this was 7 years ago. I recently got back into hobby and didn't hesitate to order form LA given my previous experience. Needless to say I've been disappointed.

JayKim

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your spot on.
liveaquria rep said salinity would be 1.023 I checked anyway and salinity was 1.019. I floated bag for 15 minutes, I added 1 mil of prime to neutralize ammonia in water. I brought up salinity buy removing 5 oz bag water and adding 5 oz tank water every 5 minutes for 60-75 minutes. More or less raising salinity by .01 every 15 minutes.
Goes to show LA does not know what the wholesaler is doing. If your LFS has live brine might want to give that a try. Also, garlic guard if you haven't tried already.

ngoodermuth

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your spot on.

Even 60-75 minutes is a pretty short amount of time for that large of an increase. I usually do increases in salinity over a few days if possible. He’s probably fine, but I wouldn’t doubt he is definitely more stressed than your typical arrivals.

No meds is fine, I can definitely respect your opinion there. But, it wouldn’t be a bad idea to have a small QT that you either keep running or set-up in advance and seed with bio-spira and live rock from your sump.

That way you have a “landing pad” for shipped fish. Can set the QT to match the shipping salinity and bring it up over several days while getting the fish acclimated to your feeding, etc.

Then, move the fish to the acclimation box and it’s business as usual :)

OP
OP
Jimmyneptune

Jimmyneptune

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Even 60-75 minutes is a pretty short amount of time for that large of an increase. I usually do increases in salinity over a few days if possible. He’s probably fine, but I wouldn’t doubt he is definitely more stressed than your typical arrivals.

No meds is fine, I can definitely respect your opinion there. But, it wouldn’t be a bad idea to have a small QT that you either keep running or set-up in advance and seed with bio-spira and live rock from your sump.

That way you have a “landing pad” for shipped fish. Can set the QT to match the shipping salinity and bring it up over several days while getting the fish acclimated to your feeding, etc.

Then, move the fish to the acclimation box and it’s business as usual :)
That's my thinking also.
its a short time I was thinking I was going to be going from 1.023 instead I was going from 1.019.
I used this as one of my guidelines.
https://aqua-dreams.com/pages/acclimation

lilchris_357

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wrasses stress out pretty bad during shipping. I normally put my Wrasses in a qt tank, then completely cover it with a towel, that normally calms them down a bit. Next day take the towel off but no lights and by the third day they are fine. As far as eating, I wait 24 hrs to try and feed them. I know you want to feed since he was in a shipping bag for a bit but they can go a few days without food. Just be patient and try to provide an environment that will calm him down first, then in no time that awesome Linetus will be the king of the tank. Good luck.

Big G

captain dunsel
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your spot on.

Did you check the bag water for copper before adding Prime?

OP
OP
Jimmyneptune

Jimmyneptune

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you check the bag water for copper before adding Prime?
I didn't check but as far as copper being in water I Don't think so. the LA rep stated copper is not used do to problems with some species or inverts.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 73 37.8%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 66 34.2%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 13.0%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 14.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.5%
Back