Lionfish 90(ish) gallon peninsula build

Holy_makerel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Eshopps axium x-160 skimmer and a Marinepure plate to set it on.

I'm looking at the same sump for my 93 cube. How do you like it so far?

Really like the marine pure block under the skimmer idea. Are you concerned with it crumbling under it with the vibrations?

OP
OP
fermentedhiker

fermentedhiker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm basically pleased with the design. I do have some issues with it because of the layout of my drains. It's really designed for a single one inch drain and I have 3 1.25 inch drains(similar to a bean animal) so it doesn't work out exactly right. If I was doing it again I'd probably go custom just because of the drain issue. Otherwise I really like it.

I'm not super worried about the marinepure block degrading but I've never used it before so who knows. Because this will be a predator tank I'm trying to maximize filtration capacity wherever I can. Things like the marinepure block instead of eggcrate as a spacer. A DSB in the overflow, oversized skimmer......... Time will tell if I'm on the right track.

Holy_makerel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm basically pleased with the design. I do have some issues with it because of the layout of my drains. It's really designed for a single one inch drain and I have 3 1.25 inch drains(similar to a bean animal) so it doesn't work out exactly right. If I was doing it again I'd probably go custom just because of the drain issue. Otherwise I really like it.

I'm not super worried about the marinepure block degrading but I've never used it before so who knows. Because this will be a predator tank I'm trying to maximize filtration capacity wherever I can. Things like the marinepure block instead of eggcrate as a spacer. A DSB in the overflow, oversized skimmer......... Time will tell if I'm on the right track.
My tank is going to be a bean animal and the drain issue was one of the things i was concerned about. Thanks for the input.

Good luck and I'm following along!

OP
OP
fermentedhiker

fermentedhiker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Trying to visualize the scape possibilities. This is what I have leftover for dry rock.

I'll definitely need to pick up some more, but my current issue is figuring out what I want to accomplish. Originally I was going to create sort of cove. A high mound toward the back with two downward arching wings creating a sort of sloped crescent. But looking at the actual space now that the tank is up, I just can't see there being enough room to do it. So now I'm starting to contemplate a single structure. As in some sort of branching column with outcroppings and overhangs that overlap as it gains height. I was considering a piece of tonga shelf with base to create the initial overhang by elevating it off the sand bed by 5 or 6 inches and then continuing to build up from there with each outcropping extending less than the lower one to allow light for coral placement. Seems like an OK idea in theory but not something I'veIve' ever attempted before.

Lionfish Lair

Renee
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Beautiful build! I'm watching my radiata glide around right now as I'm eating supper. They are a great gentle lion. A fuzzy is the bomb in personality and I definitely think you should get a Fu in the future. If you can, set up a QT/training tank. Weaning a lion in the presence of another is very very VERY difficult...... VERY.

OP
OP
fermentedhiker

fermentedhiker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Beautiful build! I'm watching my radiata glide around right now as I'm eating supper. They are a great gentle lion. A fuzzy is the bomb in personality and I definitely think you should get a Fu in the future. If you can, set up a QT/training tank. Weaning a lion in the presence of another is very very VERY difficult...... VERY.
Thanks. A training tank makes tons of sense. With an avatar like yours I'll probably be looking to you for advice often :) Especially when it comes time to start stocking. I'm already rethinking adding a tang. Once I subtracted the space from the overflow, the 3/4" acrylic and the 2" waterline I'm thinking it won't be enough swimming room to look/act natural and it would end up just looking like someone pacing in a cell. The substitute I would normally go with would be a larger blenny like a starry but I'm not sure if the radiata would eventually consider it a potential meal? I've also heard that mandarins are usually ignored by lions as well, and truth to that?

Lionfish Lair

Renee
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn't think a radiata would go after a full grown blenny, as they get to be a pretty big size. I would suspect the smaller lions would spit out the Mandarin if they tried it. Mine eat fruit, so they're not THAT picky, but mandarins are made to be nasty. I cannot guarantee you that, however, as they are all so different personality.

The tang... that's going to be a hard sell in that size tank.

OP
OP
fermentedhiker

fermentedhiker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah originally going by the full dimensions of the tank I figured I would be fine with a Tomini but now that I've calculated the lost water volume and swimming space I'm less comfortable even with such a small tang. I have a 3" Barilus sp danio in my 125 freshwater and he makes it look small. I honestly don't think he would look normal in a tank less than 20ft long :). I likely go with a Starry Blenny instead as I've always wanted one of those as well. The madarin I'll have to mull on awhile longer.

Ordered an Avast ATO minus the pump and instead went with a Toms aqualifter. So I should have the ATO working by the end of the week.

OP
OP
fermentedhiker

fermentedhiker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Avast ATO came in the mail today. I ordered it without the pump and went with a Toms aqualifter instead so as soon as that arrives I'll get that up and running.

OP
OP
fermentedhiker

fermentedhiker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Setup a qt/training tank. I just need to do some digging around my junk boxes and find a small heater and get/make a top for it.

OP
OP
fermentedhiker

fermentedhiker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So while I wait for my rock order to arrive from BRS I figure it would be a good time to contemplate flow. Because of the tanks placement and setup I'm kind of limited as to where I can place a powerhead. My plan is to use an Ecotech MP40 mounted on the side. I made a cord port in the stand to run the power for the lighting there and I'll run the cord for the MP40 there as well. I'm trying to decide on whether one will be enough. Since it will be placed on the side and close to the back wall of the tank I'm not sure if I should go with one low and one high or if just having one in the middle will be enough. Thoughts?

OP
OP
fermentedhiker

fermentedhiker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I pulled the trigger and ordered a gyre . I think it'll give me the lowest profile and most complete flow

OP
OP
fermentedhiker

fermentedhiker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I pulled the trigger and ordered a gyre xf250. I think it'll give me the lowest profile/most flow of the options I can make work in this tank. Did a water change to (10 gallons) to suck up all the diatoms. The tank itself has cycled even without rock and sand in the DT. The QT has cycled at this point so I guess that's ready for the first fish to go through solitary

Got my rock from BRS. Did a 10 minutes muriatic acid bath and a 24 hour bleach and water soak and now it's just soaking in fresh water(48 hrs so far). I dosed it with prime yesterday to eliminate any remaining chlorine. The plan is to attempt to create the structure on the 4th since I have the day off. I have some fiberglass rods, drill bit, stone chisels, a big screwdriver and a big bottle of superglue gel.

The idea is to build a single column that branches out at various levels reducing how far they overhang as it gains height. I'm hoping to use a 15" tonga shelf as the biggest overhang and anchor it into some reefsaver type rock I got previously from reefrocks.net(since it's heavier and should make a more stable base, which will in turn be anchored on a plastic cutting board. I'll then build up from there using pukani for the column and more tonga shelf for the outcroppings or maybe build one by connecting various pieces of rock with fiberglass rod to make an overhanging branch instead of just a shelf.

I can't quite picture it in my head so we'll see how it goes. :/

OP
OP
fermentedhiker

fermentedhiker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You say that like you're disappointed in the end result scape. It turned out awesome!

Thanks. I wouldn't say I'm disappointed per say. I had planned out in my head something a little more dynamic at the top but I could see a way to pull it off. I actually was on my way to building something like my plan, but quickly realized it was going to be wider and longer than my tank :D. So I had to scrap it and start over.

end view;

Other side; I may end up playing around at adding a small piece of shelf to this side as it seem a little "flat";

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 42 48.3%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 46 52.9%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 20 23.0%
  • None.

Votes: 22 25.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 10.3%
Back