OP
Lionfish hunter

Lionfish hunter

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lions that do survive copper usually don't live long after, up to a year at most. If you were to do a dissection you would find liver damage. I do believe you did od the pp coupled with the liver damage from the copper treatment is what happened. Pp on it's own dosed in the right amount has been proven to pretty safe for lions and other species like eels that have been

OP
OP
Lionfish hunter

Lionfish hunter

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He didn't just magically die 15 minutes after prazi because of cupramine 5 months ago and a "10%" overdose of pp. When there was 0 issues during and after cupramine. Pp Clearly affected him differently than other fish. Instant reaction and death. Let me be clear here, if I would have put 10% less pp in the water, nothing would have gone differently. There is no debate with this, and there is no point in arguing about it. I have a beautiful dead pet in front of me. I'm not in the mood to hear a theroy on if I put just a tiny bit less pp in the water, he would be magically fine as opposed to having an instant deadly reaction. I was there you weren't. It was a severe instant reaction like have never seen in 20 years of keeping saltwater fish

jdiefenbaugh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I treated a group of lion fish with praziquantel once, and it did not go well. They clearly had an adverse reaction (death) to that medication. It's been about 10-12 years, but I don't remember any of them making it through the end of the day, even after doing a large water change when they started showing visible stress.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Lions are best treated with low dosage (50-60%) and Prazi can and will lower content of oxygen.

OP
OP
Lionfish hunter

Lionfish hunter

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lions are best treated with low dosage (50-60%) and Prazi can and will lower content of oxygen.
Low doses often cause repeat treatment exposing them to even more chemicals than normal. I don't think it instantly lowers oxygen, poor guy instantly reacted and was upside down on the sand in 15 minutes. Just never heard prazi was anything to worry about, still in shock. I have a 240 gallon on its way just for him...

BiggestE222

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I remember right, prazipro depletes oxygen. It fuels a different type of bacteria that rapidly depletes oxygen. If it was a large fish, it could have suffocated to death. I've dosed it on my 350 gallon mixed reef for two weeks. I noticed the PH drop significantly. Also, my Dragon wrasse, didn't come out for a week after dosing Prazipro. Didn't come out to eat or swim or anything. I thought for sure he had died. As soon as the time was up and I did a water change to remove the prazipro, within 24 hours he was out eating like a pig. Some fish are really sensitive, I'm just glad my dragon wrasse didn't starve himself to death. He's an 8 inch long fish with teeth. But he remained buried in the sand the entire time.... Probably what saved him...
Wrasses are very sensitive. I dosed Praziquantel and he started twitching for like 15 minutes.

OP
OP
Lionfish hunter

Lionfish hunter

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wrasses are very sensitive. I dosed Praziquantel and he started twitching for like 15 minutes.
I dosed another tank and my queen angel is twitching like crazy. Hope this "super safe" medicine doesn't end up killing all my prized fish.

JumboShrimp

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very sorry about your fish; may you enjoy your new 240-gallon when it arrives... better days ahead. But we do feel your pain!

ZoWhat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds to me like a classic overdose with the fish suffocating to death. Sorry to be blunt, but you want answers, right?

OP
OP
Lionfish hunter

Lionfish hunter

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds to me like a classic overdose with the fish suffocating to death. Sorry to be blunt, but you want answers, right?
if i overdosed and that fish died that quick, prazipro is UNBELIEVABLY toxic and should have waay more precise measuring instructions than teaspoons. Because I only put a fraction of a teaspoon more than needed. So no, sorry, read above, I’m done beating this horse. And please explain how a 10% overdose of prazipro suffocates a fish in 15 minutes exactly? I would love an explanation.

jmichaelh7

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   1   0
if i overdosed and that fish died that quick, prazipro is UNBELIEVABLY toxic and should have waay more precise measuring instructions than teaspoons. Because I only put a fraction of a teaspoon more than needed. So no, sorry, read above, I’m done beating this horse. And please explain how a 10% overdose of prazipro suffocates a fish in 15 minutes exactly? I would love an explanation.
Did it die from oxygen deprivation

possibility

BiggestE222

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As said in this thread. The bacterial bloom caused by Prazi Pro intakes a lot of oxygen. If you don’t take action to intro additional oxygen they can die easily . I imagine you would due to is all the oxygen was sucked from the room in less than 15 minutes.

OP
OP
Lionfish hunter

Lionfish hunter

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As said in this thread. The bacterial bloom caused by Prazi Pro intakes a lot of oxygen. If you don’t take action to intro additional oxygen they can die easily . I imagine you would due to is all the oxygen was sucked from the room in less than 15 minutes.
Nope, algea blooms cannot form instantly. Anybody who thinks that is so far lost I don't know how to help them back.

ctopherl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
Lionfish hunter

Lionfish hunter

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
well he said copper will kill them and prazi is fine. 30 days of copper 6 months ago with 0 issues. 15 minutes in prazi and he's dead. The advice on the internet Ive read is almost always wrong. It is truly astounding. I’m almost to the point where I will just do the opposite of everybody’s advice.

I have a tank that keeps itself at perfect water clarity, low algae, 0 nitrate, phosphate, ammonia, 8.2 ph, 420 calcium, and 11 dkh with no water changes. Figured out how to do that all on my own when I stopped taking advice from the internet. And spent almost no money to achieve that with a massive bio load. Its when I get on here and listen to the “experts” where everything goes to ****.

Wish i could get some answers on why this actually happened instead of people telling me how sure they are that a 10% overdose of a supposedly safe drug, was the difference between instant death and being 100% healthy.

View Badges
well he said copper will kill them and prazi is fine. 30 days of copper 6 months ago with 0 issues. 15 minutes in prazi and he's dead. The advice on the internet Ive read is almost always wrong. It is truly astounding. I’m almost to the point where I will just do the opposite of everybody’s advice.

I have a tank that keeps itself at perfect water clarity, low algae, 0 nitrate, phosphate, ammonia, 8.2 ph, 420 calcium, and 11 dkh with no water changes. Figured out how to do that all on my own when I stopped taking advice from the internet. And spent almost no money to achieve that with a massive bio load. Its when I get on here and listen to the “experts” where everything goes to ****.

Wish i could get some answers on why this actually happened instead of people telling me how sure they are that a 10% overdose of a supposedly safe drug, was the difference between instant death and being 100% healthy.
You might get the results you want then just telling people the answer you want to hear, instead of getting angry with everyone who was trying to help you.

I don’t think it’ll get you better results, but you’ll be less stressed and angry.

Back