Lionfish in 40 breeder?

loinfosh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hey all, i’m moving soon and i’ll be having a 40 breeder saltwater tank (my first saltwater tank although i have a lot of experience with freshwater) i have someone who will help me with the saltwater parameters and things and give me tips but i wanna know if i’ll be able to keep a fuzzy lionfish in a 40 breeder. i’ve heard they can but i wanted to he sure. i dont wanna do corals or anything like that, just the fish and some rocks/decor.
-can i keep a dwarf lionfish in a 40 breeder?
-what fish can i put with the lionfish if any?
-what should i feed it?
-what kind of decor/substrate should i keep in there?
-are there any special things for lionfish i need?

PeterZammetti

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hey all, i’m moving soon and i’ll be having a 40 breeder saltwater tank (my first saltwater tank although i have a lot of experience with freshwater) i have someone who will help me with the saltwater parameters and things and give me tips but i wanna know if i’ll be able to keep a fuzzy lionfish in a 40 breeder. i’ve heard they can but i wanted to he sure. i dont wanna do corals or anything like that, just the fish and some rocks/decor.
-can i keep a dwarf lionfish in a 40 breeder?
-what fish can i put with the lionfish if any?
-what should i feed it?
-what kind of decor/substrate should i keep in there?
-are there any special things for lionfish i need?
-can i keep a dwarf lionfish in a 40 breeder? Yes
-what fish can i put with the lionfish if any? Any that are larger than his mouth. They usually leave inhabitants that were there first alone.
-what should i feed it? Either frozen carnivorous food. To be honest, I give non frozen, thawed shrimp and have some myself as I feed him.
-what kind of decor/substrate should i keep in there? He needs ledges and caverns to hide through the day. They have the best personality (clowns are second in that category)
-are there any special things for lionfish i need? Remember no touchy. If you are allergic, and you don't know until stung, they can kill you. On that note. 99.9% they will never go at you unless your feeding. DO NOT feed with hand use long tweezer until you are comfortable with them.

ALSO: You can feed them every 3 days as normal but, I personally feed 1/2 shrimp everyday. Adjust accordingly

Tank maturity meter:
1 month Cleanup crew and 1 fish (2 if clowns)
2 months Specific coral (like softie's)
3 months anemone ok
6 months dwarf lion ok

fishguy242

Cronies..... INSERT BUILD THREAD BADGE HERE !!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
hi welcome to the reef... :)
i think @lion king ,can copy and paste a post, he wrote earlier today on nutrition ...;):cool:

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you keep them long enough, they will need a larger tank than a 40B. A fuzzy with reach 6 5" and be more active than most think if given room to roam. They will do best in at least a 4' tank, 55g min, 75g better. The reason so many people are sold on small tanks for dwarf lions, is because most do not even keep them as long as a couple of years. If you are serious about keeping lionfish, click my name and click "find all threads".

OP
OP
L

loinfosh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
oh im gonna upgrade the tank to a 75 once i sell my other tank (in a year or 2). in the tank what when i get the fuzzy lion, what fish should i get to accompany it? like an exact stock since i dont know how to pick which fish

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's good, a 40B will limit appropriate tank mates due to sizing. A fuzzy can eat a fish over half their own length, slender bodied fish especially at risk. Give some ideas at what you like. They have to be ok for 40B, be broader bodiied or at least 4" in length, initial sizing is very important. As far as diet goes, I strongly suggest you reaad some of my threads on feeding and nutrition.

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 30 17.0%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 30 17.0%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 32 18.2%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 76 43.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.5%
Back