Lionfish Sting

rdvab

Texas "Primo"Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I always thought people were exaggerating about the pain of A LionFish "Sting",but today I think different.I accidently cornered my Dwarf today and oh my gosh,from intense pain to numbness up the entire arm WOW Wow

OP
OP
rdvab

rdvab

Texas "Primo"Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh heck it would take several bee stings to add up to this.One of those hurts where you can't even pinpoint where it hurts.

gflat65

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe try some vinegar, too, though I'm not sure if that works for lions (I know it works for jellies, etc.). Coral did an article where they gave remedy advice. I'll see if I can find it.

fishes2889

Aquaculturist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some people react differently, like a bee sting. I had a friend in Florida, when i was working at an LFS, that was stung and had to be sent to the hospital. He passed out a couple minutes after the sting occured. Scariest situation of my life thus far...

detguy123

I'm a pain in the wrasse
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i was tagged by 4 fins on my lion a few years back and i had to go to the hospital..i too passed out and my arm swelled up really bad..i am very allergic to bees and wasp so i was thinking it would be bad so i went to the hospital right away..it hurt for a few days..but it was nothing like a bee sting to me..i ahd a fox face get me as well once it hurt like hell to but not as bad

OP
OP
rdvab

rdvab

Texas "Primo"Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
well it lasted -pain 2 hrs,numbness and loss of feeling in arm 4 hrs,learning a valuable lesson (never corner a Lion Fish).......priceless.
Anyway it is over now,but i am tellin' you it was one of those pains that was so bad I couldn't even pinpoint the pain.Glad that is over.

AquaWorldPSC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lionfish stings are bad. I got kniked by one of them before it was a little sting but felt really bad. One of our employees got stung by a V. Lionfish saltwater section and shocked by an electric eel in the freshwater section all the same day. He didn't feel so good...

jimmybling31

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just bought a beautiful volitan it made me so happy to see it happy in my tank and all. it already is eating.

volitan003.jpg

volitan004.jpg

volitan002.jpg

jimmybling31

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
what size tank is he in?

temporally in a 29 gallon. when we find a new tank for a display tank for the cichlids he will be in a 75. he is very small right now though. only 3.5-4 inches fin to fin right now. i can't wait to have him in the 75 though. he is pretty happy for now in the 29. he started eating an hour after I put him in the tank. he ate a small piece of shrimp i put in the tank. i am not too woried about him for a few months in there. I want to get him in the 75 in the next 4-5 months though

jimmybling31

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine ate flakes out of my hands. It seemed like a dog of the sea:).

my dad's coworker's lion is was like that. he would eat shrimp right out of your hand. he was healthy til his tank crashed after being together for 4 years. he still doesn't know what happened.

OP
OP
rdvab

rdvab

Texas "Primo"Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine ate flakes out of my hands. It seemed like a dog of the sea:).

Yeah mine will eat out of my hand .I just got in a hurry cleaning the glass and actually conered him.....definately my fault.

sdietz2469

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
yeah they say to run your hand under the hottest water you can stand for as long as you can take it... luckly i like showers that scold most people so my tolerance is high... my red vol lion(before my fibrioted eel ate him)was awesome.... he would come to the top of the tank eat till he was full then roll over so i could rub his belly.... he rolled over at the top for aout 6 months before i tried to touch him... then he would do this all the time and loved it.... i had him for 4 years and he was probably 16" long and as round as a softball bat..... then i walked in to see animal planet in my fish tank.... i watched as my eel grabbed him by the head, and by the time i could get my feeding stick in the tank the eel had im half way down.... it was a sad day, but that was awesome to see... oh and my eel is still alive... he is aout 4.5 feet long.....
shane

Azurel

Morpharian Maffia Hitman
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That sucks glad your better.....

I had a 15'' V. Lion fish that I could feed by hand and rub under his chin, I knew when not to mess with him. They do give signs before they do anything like the lion fish burst. Mine had dorsal spines the easily measured 8''. They are my all time favorite fish he became over the almost 10 years more like a real pet then a fish. I cried the day I found him dead with a dwarf lion caught in his throat.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 31.2%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 23 24.7%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 18 19.4%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 23 24.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back