List of all Krak Zoas

GHOSTLY

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry to bring up an older thread, so just to make sure I understand from reading, a Krak is just because of where it’s collected and not about any special design (per se) of the Zoa. If it’s collected on or near Krakatoa, it’s a Krak. The name it gets depends on how it looks, correct?
I believe krak is a special name and style bur I could be wrong

Hooz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry to bring up an older thread, so just to make sure I understand from reading, a Krak is just because of where it’s collected and not about any special design (per se) of the Zoa. If it’s collected on or near Krakatoa, it’s a Krak. The name it gets depends on how it looks, correct?

That's the way it started but, ultimately, the first person to name a zoa can pretty much call it whatever they want. Then it's just a matter of seeing what sticks.

Pieces of the Ocean originally named a new import "POTO Funk Master Krak" based on where it came from and the similarities between it and Grand Master Krak. Other people who imported from the same batch named it other things and, when the dust settled, most people now call them Predators.

Other people just try to capitalize on a name to charge more (*cough* Hornets *cough*). So it pays to do a little research before you spend a bunch of money on the latest and greatest.

GoldenBasketReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am the person that started using Krakatoa to name a zoa from Indonesia that is fire orange like a lava from a volcano. I choose the famous volcano mountain in Indonesia, Mount Krakatoa as the name. No it is not originated from Krakatoa Island.
The Krakatoa zoa trait is the green band that separate the ring around the mouth, but later because of the popularity of the name any zoa being named Krakatoa
The ring around the mouth of Krakatoa line that I named is forming a chainlink pattern that sometimes appear to be incomplete / broken chainlink pattern.

nano reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
'Let's talk about Kraks' as he casually posts a pic with a strat just hanging out lol.

I'm familiar with:
Jf "Signature" krak
Pink Krak
Speckled Krak

I've also seen/ heard a reference to:
OG Krakatoa (the one from that 'one pic' we all know)
GB Grand Master Krak
CB Krakatoa God
Gold Kraks
Queen Kraks
Butt Kraks = Bowtie blaster.

As is the name game some of these have been rebranded while I see other people (mostly of FB) try to pass something off as a '--- krak'.
I have both azzz kraks and bowtie blasters and they look nothing alike!

nano reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
CB Bloodshot Krakatoa

garage_tank_20190227_1143.jpg
same as speckled kraks isnt it? I love me some speckled kraks. The first ones I had did beautifully until I moved them into another tank then I scored a crazy deal(or so I though) of a 28 polyp one and over half melted and only about 5 look like they will make it :( Shame because they are my favorite zoas! I was so stoked when I scored that big colony! They were even bigger then the pic. They had filled in the center. I think it was 28 polyps!

s-l500 (21).jpg

littlebigreef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
12   0   0
I have both azzz kraks and bowtie blasters and they look nothing alike!

A little more context here since you bumped an old post from 2019. R2R edited my list to say JF ‘signature’ krak in place of a$Skrak.

There where several vendors trying to rebrand and sell bow tie blasters as ‘butt kraks’ in 2019 but the rebrand never caught any traction.

So you’re correct in that a$Skraks and bow tie blasters are two different strains. A Google images search for ‘butt kraks’ only returns pics of a$Skraks. Let that be a testament to the fickleness of the zoa name game.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 40 43.0%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 20 21.5%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 31 33.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.2%
Back