List things you can see were plainly made up in forums and then turned into procedural rules

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
#1 You can't remove surface area in a reef tank without giving the bacteria time to 'ramp up' in other sections of the tank.

False, this is the equivalent of reefing Lamarckism. bacteria dont build up on other surfaces when surface area from another part of the flow chain is removed, thats made up in forums it does not occur in real life, studies are avail using accurate ammonia testing if anyone wants to see. it just takes something other than a nine dollar ammonia tester to know this was a dated and made up rule, forums made it up.

name for us some other made up trends that used to influence our hobby and procedure, but no longer do

#2 A deep sandbed is required to....

Last edited:
OP
OP
brandon429

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
# 3 fish + live bottle cycling bac at the same time harms fish by burning them with free ammonia

denied, says any seneye owner.

what's #4

Last edited:
OP
OP
brandon429

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im stealing #4

you must cycle every single reef tank for a month.

False, says every reef convention instant reef since 1986.

ok who's got #5 hurry Ive like eight more to go.

OP
OP
brandon429

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As I click your post history and read it, I can see how you arrived at that as a response. thanks for the bump

OP
OP
brandon429

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its at least a way to evaluate today's procedural changes from those of past decades.

we always seem to do a big turnabout every ten years or so

OP
OP
brandon429

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
another one: #5 peroxide dosed into a reef harms the filter bac (therapeutic doses, not accident overdoses, even kalk kills a reef when you od it)

we have studies handy using accurate ammonia testing showing a temporary boost, not a harm. the exact opposite of what ten thousand evaluators said would happen from dosing peroxide one mil per ten gallons is what we found to be true. the bac are temporarily helped, says seneye studies. <aerobes like a mild oxygen boost?

we do lots of things very differently nowadays than we did in just 2005 for example. I can think of about 15 things we're vastly different on nowadays and they were pretty firm rules touted online back in the day.

Last edited:
OP
OP
brandon429

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
#6 You can have a normal-running reef tank after a cycle that can't control its ammonia, such as .25 or .5 ammonia remains, meaning the cycle retrograded somehow.

-For sure, 100%, you can not have this happen unless you're using a nine dollar tester google shows to be nearly useless in reef cycling.

X-37B

Fight the Good Fight
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is from some well known coral sellers. I wont name them but a simple search will find it.
Ocean alk is 8-9 and is what we recommend.
Yes it will work and does but average surface ocean alk is 6.5-7 and most use 7.

RobB'z Reef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is from some well known coral sellers. I wont name them but a simple search will find it.
Ocean alk is 8-9 and is what we recommend.
Yes it will work and does but average surface ocean alk is 6.5-7 and most use 7.
Is this similar thinking to current pursuits of high pH for higher growth? Slowly becoming a group think that healthy tanks can't exist at 7.8 to 8. Many cite it as a parameter problem when it isn't 8.1 or above for example.

OP
OP
brandon429

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Jekyl that is wonderful

I heard that rule literally my entire life and occasionally yahoo will make a news posting about that finding being inaccurate

nice one

Dom

Full Time Reef Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I cant help myself, this one's too easy.

All 18,521 of your posts.

I apologise in advance.

Ouch... that seems a bit judgmental. And it comes from someone who has minimal activity over the three years he's been here.

I appreciate Brandon's posts. He's devoted to the form and I find his information to be helpful in my efforts to have a thriving reef tank.

OP
OP
brandon429

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
the newest turnabout of information I can think of was Taricha's findings that sandbed bacteria dont even help all that much at all in nitrification and that microscopic masses of plants/naturally present algae play as much or more than the role of bacteria for ammonia uptake and conversion. jury still out but that's what the winds are bringing in it seems.

OP
OP
brandon429

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well it’s not very nice of me but I never did like being heckled its why I won’t do stand up

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 64 36.8%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 33.9%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 14.4%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 26 14.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back