Literally hundreds of thousands of 'copepods'?

donutmanstan

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello! So I've had this tank running now for about 1 month. Even in the first 2 weeks or so, I saw no copepods. Then, i began to see them all over the glass. It seemed over night they would almost double in population. I would even go as far as to say there's 1 million in the tank, which is why i'm making this because i'm concerned they aren't the good copepods? There are tiny, very tiny ones too. It's almost like a dust on my glass. I do have some green algae/diatoms on the glass which is what they eat obviously.
C1026495-943D-4AAD-8905-985EE05C0E86 (1).jpeg
78009748-ADEE-43C3-934B-EA6B60FEF1EC.jpeg
147E37C6-ABF9-4A76-B9B4-278BF6B5CD26.jpeg

Copingwithpods

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All normal bud, with no predators and ample food supply they explode in numbers. As soon as you get a fish or 2 they will keep them in check. For me it was my first clown and damsel, 24/7 eating free for all I bet they loved it. It's all part of the cycle.

HTXReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The different size pods are just pods at a different stages of life. I say too many pods in my tank. I started seeding pods within the first couple of weeks of starting the tank. I also ran a copepod culture in a 10 gallon tank to prepare for a Mandarin Goby. You are well on the way to getting the tank ready for fish that are finicky eaters such as a mandarin. My pod culture was seeded with two small bottles of tisbee pods and within two weeks it almost looked infested.
The reason you are seeing them is the algae and diatoms on your glass. But rest assured there are tons in your rocks as well.

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hard to tell for sure from the pictures, but it looks like mysid shrimp as well. Populations will wax and wane, often for reasons that are unclear. Excellent sign regardless!

Erick Armanii

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The different size pods are just pods at a different stages of life. I say too many pods in my tank. I started seeding pods within the first couple of weeks of starting the tank. I also ran a copepod culture in a 10 gallon tank to prepare for a Mandarin Goby. You are well on the way to getting the tank ready for fish that are finicky eaters such as a mandarin. My pod culture was seeded with two small bottles of tisbee pods and within two weeks it almost looked infested.
The reason you are seeing them is the algae and diatoms on your glass. But rest assured there are tons in your rocks as well.
Where did you get the pods? I’m nearing the end of my cycle and would like to add pods ASAP

NS Mike D

In the arena.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Where did you get the pods? I’m nearing the end of my cycle and would like to add pods ASAP

I find LFS that have decent reef inventory carry @Reef Nutrition tigger pods (and should be open as essential businesses). Plus you can get a bottle of phyto. I tagged them in case they can steer you to a dealer in Danbury. - saves on shipping - which is what I say every time I go to one of the two LFS near me, and then I come home with frags.

Erick Armanii

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I find LFS that have decent reef inventory carry @Reef Nutrition tigger pods (and should be open as essential businesses). Plus you can get a bottle of phyto. I tagged them in case they can steer you to a dealer in Danbury. - saves on shipping - which is what I say every time I go to one of the two LFS near me, and then I come home with frags.
Basically me lol.. I’ll check them out my stores near by are kinda lame

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 125 88.7%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 5.7%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 3.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.1%

Back