Literally WHY you should not buy fish you can't keep forever...

Squidward

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can't believe that lil hogfish would do so much damage in a 380g wow?! I just got a Cuban Hogfish knowing fully well what they're capable of. Both my cleaner shrimp and Fire Shrimp have been hiding for dear life lol and my smaller yellow coris wrasse has been nowhere to be found? Hope he wasn't eaten but just scared and hiding under the sand?...

RtomKinMad

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is where decades of experience with fish comes into play. Like triggers not being reef safe on most every website the sells them. Well I have decades of experience with many types of fish and my Clown, Sargassum, Assasi and Blueline are absolutely reef safe. I've got a reef jam packed with corals and they dont touch any corals. Ya they might snack on a dumb hermit that doesn't hide during the day but that's about it. After you gain lots of experience which comes with time you will learn on your own what not to add. Having plenty of rock work and feeding them appropriately also helps alot. I have 14 fish and they dont bother any of them even the smallest.
20200429_181243.jpg
20200429_181243.jpg
20200421_173017.jpg
20200421_173007.jpg
20200421_124922.jpg
20200421_173017.jpg
20200421_173007.jpg
Very beautiful tank!

Krully

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can't believe that lil hogfish would do so much damage in a 380g wow?! I just got a Cuban Hogfish knowing fully well what they're capable of. Both my cleaner shrimp and Fire Shrimp have been hiding for dear life lol and my smaller yellow coris wrasse has been nowhere to be found? Hope he wasn't eaten but just scared and hiding under the sand?...

Please don't take this as a personal attack, legit question. Why would you take that risk when you're fully aware of that? Like you don't mind if it ends up eating your shrimps and some of your fish?

Squidward

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Please don't take this as a personal attack, legit question. Why would you take that risk when you're fully aware of that? Like you don't mind if it ends up eating your shrimps and some of your fish?
Cause it's a fish I've always wanted. The 2 shrimps have been useless. No more cleaning always hiding so I don't care if they get eaten or not. As long as my Tangs are good I'm good.

Krully

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cause it's a fish I've always wanted. The 2 shrimps have been useless. No more cleaning always hiding so I don't care if they get eaten or not. As long as my Tangs are good I'm good.

Alright, thank you for answering!

Drew Hitt

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry I didn’t realized you had replied... are you able to ship? I will pay for it obviously... not sure if it’s even possible right now or if ur interested in all the hassle

lefkonj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Frustrating I am sure. Trying to remove anything from your tank can try our nerves. I bought 1 peppermint mushroom years ago, regret that more than anything. Things are everywhere and I hate them. I can spend hours cutting them off rocks or overflows but a few months later they are back.

Forever is a long time and things change over time. I have had fish that I wanted out of the tank, some easier to catch them others but this hobby has taught me one major thing in life 'Patience'.

Jesterrace

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am currently (as I type this) trying to remove an adult Hogfish that has become the scourge of my tiny piece of ocean in a box. I. Will. NEVER. Do. This. Again.

To those of you that think "oh I will just catch him later and rehome him"...that is WAY easier said than done. I am sure each fish is different, as I think I could have caught 2 Watanabei Angel's and my adult female clown already. The fish trap has been successful with a Watanabei angel and my valentini puffer. The hogfish is apparently an evil mastermind intent on making my life a living nightmare. He is not falling for any of it. I did not get this fish intending to rehome it, but I did not see the memo on how aggressive they "can" become until he was here, as a sweet, young little tyke.

So good luck with a mature reef, secure rockwork, other fish...this is ridiculous. I am super frustrated.

Trap with a mirror at the back should work.

S2G

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can feel the frustration in your posts & feel your pain lol. I've been trying since last November to catch my little nightmare. You would think a little 3" clown would be ok in a larger tank. Nope! Terrorized everyone from sun up to sun down. Cost me an 8yr old foxface. Then started on my emporer. Tried the light technique, trap, red light, hook etc. The tang was the only one that could fight it off

Well my emporer has started to transition & had enough. Beat the clown into a tiny corner. Tried to net it to separate & when it went it into the rockwork I saw a cloud kick up. I guess the eel had enough as well.

20200604_111526.jpg 20200602_092730.jpg

OP
OP
Leslie Tabor

Leslie Tabor

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can feel the frustration in your posts & feel your pain lol. I've been trying since last November to catch my little nightmare. You would think a little 3" clown would be ok in a larger tank. Nope! Terrorized everyone from sun up to sun down. Cost me an 8yr old foxface. Then started on my emporer. Tried the light technique, trap, red light, hook etc. The tang was the only one that could fight it off

Well my emporer has started to transition & had enough. Beat the clown into a tiny corner. Tried to net it to separate & when it went it into the rockwork I saw a cloud kick up. I guess the eel had enough as well.

20200604_111526.jpg 20200602_092730.jpg
That is so sad! Dang little jerks! I have been so happy with my tank and my new fish since I got him out. It is worth the struggle!

Back