little advice on getting my 1st few sps frags started

johnj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
my tanks about 7-8months know and got few lps doing ok so order a few sps frags for this Friday

1st question should I place the frags on top of rocks closest to lights" whot par would be best?

2nd question" put them into high flow and direct flow? its not really strong as got lps

how do you tell they are doing ok and not going to brown/bleach

thanks

lilgrounchuck

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What lights are you running? It's best to start them down low and bring them up higher over the course of a couple of weeks. You can also place them where you want on the rocks and dim your lights and slowly raise the intensity back up over that same couple of weeks instead of moving a frag rack up your tank wall.

ryshark

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
my tanks about 7-8months know and got few lps doing ok so order a few sps frags for this Friday

1st question should I place the frags on top of rocks closest to lights" whot par would be best?

2nd question" put them into high flow and direct flow? its not really strong as got lps

how do you tell they are doing ok and not going to brown/bleach

thanks
I think it depends on your lighting and the lighting they are coming from. If they are coming from stronger lights than you, its probably fine to put on top to start. If you want to play it safe, then start mid or low tank and work its way up.
Direct constant flow is never good to be in front of, high flow is fine.

Rmckoy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
there was a link here somewhere that gave rough ideas for par required for each different species if sps .
It’s always best to start lower and work your way up as mentioned above .

I’m not sure about leds ....
I’ve always ran t5’s

Skynyrd Fish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So... I place my sps where I want them. Please make sure to dip, dip, dip. Remove the plug and super glue to the rock, or a new plug. Make sure dkh, ca, and MG are stable. Salinity 1.026. Mega random flow. Good luck and enjoy.

OP
OP
J

johnj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
lights are 3x hydra 26hd and 4x ati 80wt t5 tubes" 3 blue plus and 1 purple plus iv got hydra coming on at 9.30 morning till 9.30 night and t5s coming on at 12 miday till off at 7 o clock night"

iv only got the front T5s running as par was high on sand for my lps"

par at top of rocks is 280-340 and 190-240 mid rocks and 120- 220 sand
IMG_1991.JPG

OP
OP
J

johnj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So... I place my sps where I want them. Please make sure to dip, dip, dip. Remove the plug and super glue to the rock, or a new plug. Make sure dkh, ca, and MG are stable. Salinity 1.026. Mega random flow. Good luck and enjoy.
Don't lot of people glue plug also on rock? whot if the frags are crusted over the plug? plus iv got no coral tools

Skynyrd Fish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking good. Get some frags! You may need some more flow options as sps need random strong flow. Get a battle box, or a wwc frag pack. I also have had great luck with aquasd. All started from frags.
image.jpg

Skynyrd Fish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The reason we remove the plug is to minimize the risk of pest eggs. If it’s heavily encrusted I use wire cutters and snip the shaft of the frag plug off, leaving the frag on the plug disk. I have a couple frags still on plugs..

OP
OP
J

johnj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking good. Get some frags! You may need some more flow options as sps need random strong flow. Get a battle box, or a wwc frag pack. I also have had great luck with aquasd. All started from frags.
image.jpg
hope to get stocked just like yours but im over the other side of the pond" shame as wwc looks the bomb

iv got a maxspect xf350 gyre and vortec mp40 in there" only running at just less than half power

ScottB

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
At 8 months you are very close to being ready for SPS. It just might work.

This assumes salinity and temp are stable of course, but after that the key SPS parameters are ALK, NO3, PO4 and PAR (lighting). If these are SIMILAR in your system to the system the corals came from then the road is much smoother.

Always compare at least these parameters to where the frags came from. Slowly, SPS can adjust. Quick changes result in necrosis either fast or slow.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back