Little brown green thing that flows living under the rock of my new coral. Aiptasia? Dinos?

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it is a ball anemone and not a majano(tough to tell from your pic, but the little ball tips leads me to believe its a ball nem, and not a majano), I have never had one cause any sorts of problems. They tend to stick to area in low flow, and low light.

Also majano's grow, ball nems tend to stay on the small size. If it continues to grow, eradicate it. if it stays small, it's probably a ball nem.

OP
OP
Herides

Herides

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I believe this is a ball anemone.
Genuine question, did you say that because you do believe it looks like a ball anemone or was your answer influenced by my earlier speculation in this thread that it may be a ball anemone?

OP
OP
Herides

Herides

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it is a ball anemone and not a majano(tough to tell from your pic, but the little ball tips leads me to believe its a ball nem, and not a majano), I have never had one cause any sorts of problems. They tend to stick to area in low flow, and low light.

Also majano's grow, ball nems tend to stay on the small size. If it continues to grow, eradicate it. if it stays small, it's probably a ball nem.
Well if I wait that long and it's majano, is it more likely to only spread in that little area as opposed to the whole tank by that point? If it spreads at all?

fishguy242

Cronies..... INSERT BUILD THREAD BADGE HERE !!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
hi, my first thought at new pics,ball nem:)

Mr_Knightley

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It does not appear to be a Majano, more likely a ball morph as has been previously stated. The thing about both is that neither spread as fast as Aiptasia, so you can stand to wait just a little to decide. I have never seen a Majano with ball tips like this one, much less clear tentacles, and while most ball morphs are near perfectly clear, there are a lot of different species and several of them look just like this nem. If it is a ball morph, it will stay to the shadows while if it is in fact just some really weird Majano it will climb into the light.

OP
OP
Herides

Herides

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It does not appear to be a Majano, more likely a ball morph as has been previously stated. The thing about both is that neither spread as fast as Aiptasia, so you can stand to wait just a little to decide. I have never seen a Majano with ball tips like this one, much less clear tentacles, and while most ball morphs are near perfectly clear, there are a lot of different species and several of them look just like this nem. If it is a ball morph, it will stay to the shadows while if it is in fact just some really weird Majano it will climb into the light.
What do you mean by ball morph?
I'm going to wait I think until the weekend or next weekend to see if it get distinctly bigger (validating another posters thoughts) or more show up, then i'm going to slap it with epoxy if it does.
Also I hope you're right about if it was a majano it would be out in the light. Came home today with the lights fully on, it's hiding, hopefully this is consistent and I can definitely rule out majano.

OP
OP
Herides

Herides

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I actually stopped by the LFS I got the coral from and showed them my pics and asked them what they thought it was and their experiences with pest anemones in their selling tanks. They claim that if they find aiptasia they don't put it in the sell tank and they try to treat it, they stated that majano isn't actually that frequent or at least they don't see it very often. They do concur that if it's not a majano, which they can't rule out, but speculate it could be a ball anemone or a hidden cup coral even, which I find less likely but not ruling out. I'm at least more confident it's not something horrible like aiptasia or majano (they actually showed me some aiptasia they are dealing with in a display tank so now I really know what aiptasia looks like (horrid)). I don't know if there are other kinds of pest nems along the lines of aiptasia and majano, but at least for now I believe I'm safe to watch it and see, and if I still feel uncomfortable or it shows signs of being bad I'm going to bury it in so much epoxy I'll form a whole new rockscape out of its grave hehe.

Mr_Knightley

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What do you mean by ball morph?
I'm going to wait I think until the weekend or next weekend to see if it get distinctly bigger (validating another posters thoughts) or more show up, then i'm going to slap it with epoxy if it does.
Also I hope you're right about if it was a majano it would be out in the light. Came home today with the lights fully on, it's hiding, hopefully this is consistent and I can definitely rule out majano.
Oh, ball morph is another name for a ball anemone, as they are technically mushroom corals (Corallimorphs) and not real anemones. Though nems and morphs are similar, they are still different, so I like to differentiate sometimes. Just a personal preference though lol

Fusion in reefing: How do you feel about grafted corals?

• I strongly prefer grafted corals and I seek them out to put in my tank.

Votes: 3 4.0%
  • I find grafted corals appealing and would be open to having them in my tank.

Votes: 43 57.3%
  • I am indifferent about grafted corals and am not enthusiastic about having them in my tank.

Votes: 21 28.0%
  • I have reservations about grafted corals and would generally avoid having them in my tank.

Votes: 5 6.7%
  • I have a negative perception and would avoid having grafted corals in my tank.

Votes: 3 4.0%
Back