Little confused about dosing Molybdenum

Fourstars

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got my test results back from Oceamo and Christoph suggested I dose Single Element Molybdenum
90 ml total split over 8 days. I purchased sodium molybdate dehydrate Na2MoO4 2H2O 39.5 % Mo powered form. How do I dose to get close to the 90 ml. Thanks in advance!

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got my test results back from Oceamo and Christoph suggested I dose Single Element Molybdenum
90 ml total split over 8 days. I purchased sodium molybdate dehydrate Na2MoO4 2H2O 39.5 % Mo powered form. How do I dose to get close to the 90 ml. Thanks in advance!

We cannot suggest anything useful for you from this info since you did not tell us the value you got by ICP, or the concentration of the solution he was using for his calculations. :)

OP
OP
Fourstars

Fourstars

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry, I did state I was confised. I attached my report. ;)

Last edited:

Christoph

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello Keith,
the dosing amount in our report is valid for our Molybdenum Solution "Single Elements Molybdenum" and not necessarily for other products if they differ in concentration.

Your Molybdenum salt is ~39,6% Molybdenum. If you dissolve 1g (use a fine balance) of your salt in 1l of RODI each ml of this solution will contain 396 µg of molybdenum, thus boosting molybdenum by ~ 0,35 µg/l in your 300g tank.

Best regards,
Christoph

Last edited:
OP
OP
Fourstars

Fourstars

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I should of just emailed you direct. Thanks! extremely helpful and answered my question. I’ll dose and send in a new test here soon.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I should of just emailed you direct. Thanks! extremely helpful and answered my question. I’ll dose and send in a new test here soon.

We are happy to help with such question. But Christoph was faster. :)

Bear in mind that it may deplete rapidly.

OP
OP
Fourstars

Fourstars

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a refugium with macros and was told that it’s an important micro element for growth.? I’m glad I tested because the macro algea was not using the iodine I had thought, and something else was limiting growth. Wonder if it was the molybdenum? Anyways, I’ll get things where Christoph suggested and continue testing at least quarterly.

Last edited:

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a refugium with macros and was told that it’s an important micro element for growth.? I’m glad I tested because the macro algea was not using the iodine I had thought, and something else was limiting growth. Wonder if it was the molybdenum? Anyways, I’ll get things where Christoph suggested and continue testing at least quarterly.

It may be limiting to the algae, as may iron, manganese and some others.

Are you dosing anything? Seeing iron without dosing is not that common. I did not detect it even with dosing.

OP
OP
Fourstars

Fourstars

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dose your two part recipe, nitrate, phosphate, iodine, iron and now molybdenum and fluoride is on order.I’ve cut out the iodine as Christoph suggested and I was noticing some lose of color or browning. Also running carbon and upped my AWC system to around two gallons a day.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 140 88.1%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.7%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 7 4.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.9%
Back