Little coral growth after a year

SaltyKP

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve had my tank for a year now and everything is alive and fine, but I haven’t seen any growth besides the Duncan. My Zoa frag is still 3, paly still 4. Nothing has encrusted on the rocks. Even the “invasive” pulsing Xenia and GSP are politely staying on their frags.
What should I be testing for? Looking out for?
I pull out every star I see, and I know there is one striped leg crab. Could they be enough to keep the whole tank in check?
I started adding Aquaforest AF Vitality every other night but i haven’t noticed a change.

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated!! I feel like I’m okay at this hobby and can keep things alive, but how do I step up to a gorgeous tank?

55 gal tank
Radion XR15 G6 Pro LED Light
Fluval 407 filter
Live sand
Dry rock
About 15 corals, softies, lps and sps
4 fish: 2 nano clowns, 1 firefish, 1 signal gobby
1 cleaner shrimp
Bumble bee snails, trochus, Nassarius
Lots of hitchhiker feather duster worms

2006F56E-5E4A-4B20-B7A3-129CDE1C615F.jpeg
736A81CF-E7FC-41A0-8C8C-B6757C2B7E2B.jpeg

ryanjohn1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Test for calc,alk and mag
If I remember right too I didn’t see much growth in the first year. Looks like you got mostly softer corals. Give it some time. What I was was at like 12-18 they exploded with growth. Also keep salinity right

findingsimple

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How is your lighting?

I was thinking something similar with my own tank and went and got a PAR meter just today - I thought, I have decent lights (Hydra 32's) I should be ok - but when testing I found my PAR levels were extremely low for what I was trying to achieve - I've had to lower my lights (closer to the tank) and crank things up to get them to where I thought they were. Something to consider.

feresadas

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
what are your nitrates and PO4 at usually? People like to keep them really low to prevent algae growth, but most animals need these to grow so if they are too low that could be a contributing factor to your low growth.

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 24 30.8%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 62 79.5%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 12 15.4%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 7 9.0%
  • Other

Votes: 4 5.1%
Back