Little Shop of Horror growout

RGC

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For those who have success growing these out, can you share what you are doing. I have been stuck at 2 pp for months while all my others are growing just fine. I spot feed benepets/reef roids, nitrate at 5, point of sale .02-.03 and still nothing. also dose Iodide. Thanks

mdb_talon

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got 2 polyps from someone here on R2R on April 20th. They are now 3 full polyps and 2 babies so seem to be growing well so far.

My phosphates are usually between .05 and .08 and nitrates somewhere under 20(maybe with 10 as average).

I feed heavily(not specifically to the zoas just in general). Tdo pellets, mysis, reef roids, brine shrimp, reef chili, rods original, rods polyps poppers, rods tentacle teasers(not each everyday but something daily). Also i dose phyto daily.

OP
OP
R

RGC

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got 2 polyps from someone here on R2R on April 20th. They are now 3 full polyps and 2 babies so seem to be growing well so far.

My phosphates are usually between .05 and .08 and nitrates somewhere under 20(maybe with 10 as average).

I feed heavily(not specifically to the zoas just in general). Tdo pellets, mysis, reef roids, brine shrimp, reef chili, rods original, rods polyps poppers, rods tentacle teasers(not each everyday but something daily). Also i dose phyto daily.
Thanks. Will try some of the items you mentioned here. I also dose phyto. Which phyto do you use?

blasterman

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All those coral products you dump in the tank just turn to nitrate which is what feeds zoas. A lot easier just to raise nitrate.

Some larger zoas are carnivorous and will wrap up and eat brine shrimp if dropped on their middle disc. Some don't. Worth a shot. At worst they will ignore the food.

TheDragonsReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I started with 1 head about 6 weeks ago and am about to get a 4th. Algae barn Phyto daily, Reef roids and aminos once a week. I would bring up your nitrates and phosphates a bit. Heres my parameters

Temp 77-79
Sg 1.024
Nitrates 25-35ppm
Phosphates 0.08
Alk 7.5 dkh
Cal 450
Mg 1400

OP
OP
R

RGC

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I started with 1 head about 6 weeks ago and am about to get a 4th. Algae barn Phyto daily, Reef roids and aminos once a week. I would bring up your nitrates and phosphates a bit. Heres my parameters

Temp 77-79
Sg 1.024
Nitrates 25-35ppm
Phosphates 0.08
Alk 7.5 dkh
Cal 450
Mg 1400
Yeah I am raising as I go. Rest of my parms are in line with yours, but my SG 1.025-6 on average. Thanks for the info

OP
OP
R

RGC

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All those coral products you dump in the tank just turn to nitrate which is what feeds zoas. A lot easier just to raise nitrate.

Some larger zoas are carnivorous and will wrap up and eat brine shrimp if dropped on their middle disc. Some don't. Worth a shot. At worst they will ignore the food.
Yeah I have some larger ones and they like when reef frenzy hits em.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 135 88.2%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.9%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 6 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.0%
Back