Little surprised I’ve got one.. Quoyi Parrotfish

saltyhog

blowing bubbles somewhere
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine has recently started eating nori. I added a Gold Rim tang it it appears that he learned to eat it of the clip from watching the Gold Rim!

locito277

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Had my pair for over a yet a few weeks back I think the female may be transitioning to male and he beat her up badly. I have her in my 55 gallon tank by herself but she won’t even come out. They eat basically everything and they are awesome. Swimming all day

OP
OP
ShawnSaucier

ShawnSaucier

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine passed away yesterday. I found it floating next to the overflow. Not sur what the issue was, but I suspect malnutrition. Feeding 3-4 times a day with a large variety of foods. Everyday has been a combo of Nori (red, green and purple), LRS herbivore, mysis, chopped mussels, pods, oyster eggs and also pellets.
It accepted all of these but never very much. I think some of the tankmates may have bullied it a bit also.

paphater

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What size tank did you guys have them in? Mine is in an 8' 200g and he uses every inch of that length swimming. He's fat and happy now but I'm worried about how he'll be when he adds a couple more inches.

paphater

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got him last July from DD. Come in around 3.75" if I recall. If I had to guess I'd say he is just shy of 6" now. Real thick body. I can't get him to eat nori for the life of me but he mows through nls pellets and LRS.

OP
OP
ShawnSaucier

ShawnSaucier

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My tank is 60”x30x24. I tried to have a very diverse menu for the parrot, but feel there was something missing. And to be honest I think this is a fish that needs to always be eating. I’m actually having some hair algae issues that I am battling as I feel I was putting to much food into my tank. At least that’s my story until I get my ICP results in....
I will probably not try another parrot in any of my future displays because I think there is not enough information on these beautiful fish and what is needed for them. It may be the luck of the draw, but it seems that they are a short term visitor to people’s displays.

Brautumn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We picked up a small male princess parrot for our 250g from a lfs that had him for a month. We had read up on them and they have a heavy algae based died and also quite shy when first added. We expected his actions but once adjusted to our tank he has been out going. I did feed a heavy algae diet for him and he plumped right up and he scrapes the rocks looking algae. Now he he eats any kind of food that goes in the tank. He also isn't bothered with the other wrasses. His colors and patterns are slowly coming in since he is still smaller than our mature melanurus. I do feed heavily without any ill affects on the system.

paphater

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Forgive the tank, I've been neglecting it. For some reason my Quoyi started going after his reflection today...must have been that new scraper I got. o_O His colors were a bit muted since he gets dark when he get goes in to combat mode. It did allow me to get some pictures other than blurs though.

H-ABvEyhnRNKoTWoQSrJ72_O9c4lTRTKUFk1XDke_5dg_o3R-EMAOUKtytTNWOJrXNyymIMNWUlk_lWWvdbqf4eZeVB_DaYen-26bXcaDYdt43NrOXlRpvB68aeySmN3Acnt7KYnzf7aMPHxkf3PjAfAUanJ74Fhb6mQkqOZ7W8m-tdFJPeAaVeu4-7AGkXXmi7GD834oisF_Svi-OpbAw7uipm1G4IKCCfX6fT1K9YLn5k2-xTPZ1XcUT-eqezIh655oShKe88IqTK34hCjxk_tnoPgZ4Won4BhJITWGRJtISARdK9mVMjPPwFChl2kYVEsewJelcnMnH0mFCeWdiCuy6Kgw4QBvU3A_YE1s4R8gb5z_P3q_iqkxMD4xD2aME4wNvjWUoiNn6ETz3JmACMjZ0idcgdcq5UH-eNRNEfJntMREQRcPQBIoFu8lzf6ur47n8bcsuZ_NWDIYHFW6UIiQ3Axfai9pcI3lQ2MWGJe2r1Hz478aP-iuutc5aaY9YlZA4NISyUDiUiFshsyUXNQsQrW_Evfa2mY5DZa9XH0Y_62rTiOwt4HcY_ZgDlQIRUbY2WvNcPV1UkYokePGfenwI7xMpGyXwE7ekg=w712-h949-no

LGp06psSmfCzzhQ0c-0wIqxlKrFr3FONQJLjdGawTDanmYJ5RMAJ0ZLB2l7mj0fBZxaNWq_5DjA7YCeDZP8TFSzVtXvjVYexJKEOOCO_qqk-_BSfLDZNsFceiN4zeqnCvaD13cllAztfWw8a4L4oniCheIgL6h-upPZMUFZMnbcGL5w7lS-ssXuTqRHt4OxBZm1DzYndEAPR71XIdID4gmdmI8rMG2QYrFOCAWkj2EKHQPFZ4FaMhBnBBvxRVq_YEC-WXawdVbCyYfiSsXGCAOa-Bjxai1-BRc2jfwTsZs2y8HASfQTggdIYm1iyDPoio68RpABBPxdmberTQNo3WUxxFsjqOiP5c-iaHTzjtccG_hQhrwzEsGbMoTpbwl2lbtVZySpqOypH-K3LX9O3_hwRSub7FuTMEPVD_ZJv4JzH-C1DUzoOV6gD1WLNBK7QrCSdQ-1BeedXazpZIqYk7M9m7d_J6x0p-G9sFaHtP4dXUSEqrWckxWYqTozGqDPEjBAyVMvytBwI7OqxTSSL5F4hwRJndy0ZBPk7l4vISMxRjByFIRNtCSRYvLV-31y4_CJvvMTAhK6I0-mWMQ4KS0r7BMbQQ0Q4nt1-TwY=w712-h949-no

Decat

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just purchased this Quoyi Parrotfish, to be delivered tomorrow:

The Quoyi will eventually be going in this display tank with quite a diverse collection of fish, after going through quarantine:

Thank you for sharing your experiences here, I hope to have good things to report soon!

paphater

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine wouldn't go after clams. Still just NLS pellets and LRS frozen.

Decat

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got mine in yesterday, he slept under a rock in quarantine, but I did get him to eat frozen Mysis Shrimp already. He did not go for the LRS, I haven't tried Pellets yet.

paphater

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine prefers pellets over the LRS. Also it prefers smaller pellets. 2mm max... which is weird considering how big he is.

Decat

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I will try 1mm and 2mm tonight along with some more Mysis. My BlueFace Angel would only eat Mysis one by one for the first month I had him in quarantine, now he eats huge chunks at a time of everything I throw in there.

saltyhog

blowing bubbles somewhere
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine is not eating as well over the last week or so. He's lost some weight too. If I can catch him I'm going to move him to a cycled QT tank and see if I can get him fat again. This is what happened to my first one and I'm fearful he's not going to make it. I love these fish but I won't try again if I can't get this one back on his fins.

Makers Marc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

The Quoyi will eventually be going in this display tank with quite a diverse collection of fish, after going through quarantine:

Thank you for sharing your experiences here, I hope to have good things to report soon!
Hows this one doing? Do they tend to fade over time, regardless of diet?

MUSBFRANK

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Wow, that's definitely a neat collection of fish, I really dig that second display below peering through the stand, very cool! I must say though, I would have reservations putting that parrot in with a grouper, especially a tank where they're gonna run into each other all the time. There are some very cool groupers on the market but most of them tend to be jerks unless you put them with big angels, morays, or triggers, ect, but definitely not with those 2 clowns, bass, or even the hog, I'm very surprised he hasn't taken a shot at them. I love tassled files as well, but once again, I never put them with grazing fish like angels, tangs, or butterflies, although I have seen people do it. I hope all of them are well, a few of them seem uneasy in the tank, especially that blueface, my experience with them is that they tend to be a bit more shy and stay in or behind rocks, him swimming up and down and back and forth with his fins down is (from my experience) not a good sign, but I sincerely think the grouper will be an eventual issue (sooner rather than later). Anyhow, just giving you my experience with these guys, I hope everyone works out great for you, good luck!

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 5 35.7%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 4 28.6%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 3 21.4%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 2 14.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back