Little white critters

Marine Reefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I got back from vacation to find thousands of little white critters in my tank all of the tank. At first I thought they were copepods but now I’m thinking different. They don’t seem to be messing with the fish or coral, but I’m guessing they shouldn’t be in there. Any help is appreciated, should I be worried. Pics to follow

image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I realize that taking decent pictures inside the aquarium of small animals is hard but I can't really make much out from the pictures. A close up of a single one would be best for identifying..

A description can also help with identifying hitch hikers. Do they look like little bugs, worms, etc? We're they on the rocks, glass, both?

When I zoom in on a few it looks like they may be copepods, but I wouldn't be comfortable at all sayings that's what they were from the pics.

OP
OP
Marine Reefer

Marine Reefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They look almost like fleas. That’s probably a terrible description but. I just don’t remember pods deign that big.

OP
OP
Marine Reefer

Marine Reefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I appreciate the help. Doing a bit of quick reading they are supposedly harmless to fish and coral in that they are a natural food source and help fit algae buildup. Am I reading that correct?

OP
OP
Marine Reefer

Marine Reefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Amphipods look more like shrimp those are copepods
I’ve never seen them that big, granted I’m pretty novice on reef tanks. This one has been running for about 8 months. I’ve copepods before but they never got this big. I had a temp monitor go bad and the tank water got really hot so I lost quite a bit. Just now starting to have the tank come back alive.

littlebeard

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
99.999% of the time amphipods are harmless detrivores. I have personally seen some attack new coral frags and solved it with a red lined wrasse. I'm not sure if that is because they grew to have such a large population and ran out of food or if it was a given species, but I always keep an eye on them.

I still think given I see what looks like legs that they are amphipods and not copepods.

MarshallB

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve never seen them that big, granted I’m pretty novice on reef tanks. This one has been running for about 8 months. I’ve copepods before but they never got this big. I had a temp monitor go bad and the tank water got really hot so I lost quite a bit. Just now starting to have the tank come back alive.
They get noticeably big. I keep a wrasse in the DT and I rarely see them with the lights out, but my sump is a different story.

The good thing is that its a great sign that your tank is doing well.

N.Sreefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lots of species of copepods but both are good members of your cuc. Pic one is an amphipod with characteristic bent body 2nd and third are different copepod species. I believe yours are likely Calanoida (could be wrong on species).

Attachments

• Gammarus_roeselii.jpg
    Gammarus_roeselii.jpg
    70.7 KB · Views: 25
  • External-morphology-of-calanoid-copepods-diagram-of-an-adult-female-A-ventral-view.png
    External-morphology-of-calanoid-copepods-diagram-of-an-adult-female-A-ventral-view.png
    120 KB · Views: 30
  • 3-s2.0-B012227430X001963-gr3.gif
    3-s2.0-B012227430X001963-gr3.gif
    41.7 KB · Views: 27

ying yang

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My initial reaction was they a kind off isopod as isopods have equal lengths of the appendages which is what iso means in latin or something like this

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm going to go with the generic answer of pods. They're good to have. I no longer see pods in my tank, but I have a fat mandarin and melanarus wrasse.

ying yang

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had some unknown pods that i thought was kind off isopod and asked few the more experienced reefers and one guy said some isopods can grow quite large and be problematic so he generally doesnt want them in their tanks.which these look quite big from original picture of all the white dots are them ?
As my pods in tank got to zoom in on camera to see.at night can see dot scurry across sand or rocks with naked eye but dont look like these look so large ^_^
@vetteguy53081 what you think?

ying yang

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 7 21.9%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 26 81.3%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 7 21.9%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 1 3.1%
  • Other

Votes: 2 6.3%
Back