Live aquaria salt on sale today only.

JayKim

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ever get this figured out? Seems really weird.

I had a lot of fish deaths and some of the fish that I got from them had some marks. So I complained that I was not happy with my purchase. They asked me for my water parameters which I provided and they also wanted list of fish in my tank, which I haven't provided yet. So they won't ship me anything, not even salt. I was going to use my reward of about $45 dollars and not do any more business with them. I guess I can provide fish list but I don't want to. Here's the email... They blame few water params that slightly out of their recommended range.

Thank you for taking the time to answer our questions. We are concerned about the number of fish currently in your 150 gallon tank. When adding specimens to your aquarium, we recommend only placing one half inch of fish per gallon of water in your aquarium. To find the total amount of fish you are able to have, you will need to find the size the fish will be when at adult size and add the number of fish together. This number will then be subtracted from the size of the aquarium to find the amount of room available in the aquarium for more specimens. With order A3580933 alone, the specimens ordered total 72.5 inches when fully grown, and the specimens that have survived total 60.5 inches when fully grown. Given that you have other fish in the tank besides this order, you are likely significantly over 75 inches when fully grown.

We strongly recommend using a quarantine tank to help new arrivals recover from shipping stress and to protect the existing inhabitants in your display tank. We note that the pH of 8 is lower than the range of 8.1 to 8.4 we recommend, the calcium of 480 ppm is higher than the range of 350 to 450 we recommend, and the magnesium of 1380 ppm is higher than the range of 1250 to 1350 we recommend.

We are now asking the exact list of which specimens are in your 150 gallon tank. We ask you to please contact us back at your earliest convenience, as we will not be able to ship any additional specimens until we have this information. We sincerely apologize for any inconvenience this causes for you, however our main concern is for the health of the specimens that are shipped.

If we can be of any additional assistance, please feel free to contact our LiveAquaria Department at 1-800-334-3699 or via email at [email protected]. We will be happy to answer any question(s) you may have.

jschultzbass

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a lot of fish deaths and some of the fish that I got from them had some marks. So I complained that I was not happy with my purchase. They asked me for my water parameters which I provided and they also wanted list of fish in my tank, which I haven't provided yet. So they won't ship me anything, not even salt. I was going to use my reward of about $45 dollars and not do any more business with them. I guess I can provide fish list but I don't want to. Here's the email... They blame few water params that slightly out of their recommended range.

Thank you for taking the time to answer our questions. We are concerned about the number of fish currently in your 150 gallon tank. When adding specimens to your aquarium, we recommend only placing one half inch of fish per gallon of water in your aquarium. To find the total amount of fish you are able to have, you will need to find the size the fish will be when at adult size and add the number of fish together. This number will then be subtracted from the size of the aquarium to find the amount of room available in the aquarium for more specimens. With order A3580933 alone, the specimens ordered total 72.5 inches when fully grown, and the specimens that have survived total 60.5 inches when fully grown. Given that you have other fish in the tank besides this order, you are likely significantly over 75 inches when fully grown.

We strongly recommend using a quarantine tank to help new arrivals recover from shipping stress and to protect the existing inhabitants in your display tank. We note that the pH of 8 is lower than the range of 8.1 to 8.4 we recommend, the calcium of 480 ppm is higher than the range of 350 to 450 we recommend, and the magnesium of 1380 ppm is higher than the range of 1250 to 1350 we recommend.

We are now asking the exact list of which specimens are in your 150 gallon tank. We ask you to please contact us back at your earliest convenience, as we will not be able to ship any additional specimens until we have this information. We sincerely apologize for any inconvenience this causes for you, however our main concern is for the health of the specimens that are shipped.

If we can be of any additional assistance, please feel free to contact our LiveAquaria Department at 1-800-334-3699 or via email at [email protected]. We will be happy to answer any question(s) you may have.
Ok, the email said no more specimens which should not include dry goods. I'd call and complain about the that part. Also, you're right about the ranges they put on there for tank params for pH, calcium, mag. Absolutely ridiculous, especially since none have anything to do with fish!! I don't know the rest of the story so will refrain from commenting further.

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, the email said no more specimens which should not include dry goods. I'd call and complain about the that part. Also, you're right about the ranges they put on there for tank params for pH, calcium, mag. Absolutely ridiculous, especially since none have anything to do with fish!! I don't know the rest of the story so will refrain from commenting further.
Seems like LA thinks they are getting scammed or that the buyers tank isnt suitable for life. Granted, dry goods should be fine but they probably dont have a great system to differentiate between dry/live linked up to whatever customer flagging system they have.

Im curious how many deaths did you have @JayKim over what time period?

JayKim

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is what I thought too, at this point I take my business somewhere else.
My problem is that they assume that the fishes are in good condition when it's shipped from their supplier, which I think is quality marine. If you do some digging they say that the sg is supposed to be 1.021 in the bag, but in fact it's more like 1.017. If they care so much about the specimens why don't they pressure their supplier to have sg closer to what most people have in their aquarium. Clearly some of the fish that I received were not in good shape but they want to find anything wrong with my tank to blame me. Maybe it was just my bad luck because a lot of the people here don't seem to have this issue with LA. I do admit I did over sock my tank but the tangs I have are small and I plan to re-home them when they grow bigger.

JayKim

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Seems like LA thinks they are getting scammed or that the buyers tank isnt suitable for life. Granted, dry goods should be fine but they probably dont have a great system to differentiate between dry/live linked up to whatever customer flagging system they have.

Im curious how many deaths did you have @JayKim over what time period?
I think 13 deaths out of 24 fish, 2 doa, 1 arrived bad shape. Most within first 2 or 4 days and few within 14 days. I did receive refund for them. Lost 2 rhomboids out of 14 days guarantee. I saved all the dead fish in my freezer. I am honest person.

JayKim

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Funny thing is, I can walk into petco and buy as many fish as I want. Wonder if they care enough to put restrictions for me at petco.

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Funny thing is, I can walk into petco and buy as many fish as I want. Wonder if they care enough to put restrictions for me at petco.
Ya well Petco doesnt offer any guarantees or refunds on saltwater fish. When 13 out of 24 fish die, it's an indicator something is wrong imo. Any good LFS would also be hesitant to continue to sell livestock to an individual if they had to refund 13 out of 24 fish.

JayKim

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ya well Petco doesnt offer any guarantees or refunds on saltwater fish. When 13 out of 24 fish die, it's an indicator something is wrong imo. Any good LFS would also be hesitant to continue to sell livestock to an individual if they had to refund 13 out of 24 fish.
Yes, something is wrong. Only thing that seems iffy in my tank is nitrate at 20-25. I bought scooter blenny from petco about 3 months ago. According to LA it's difficult to keep, it's still alive and doing well. I am convinced that those fishes that died were not healthy to begin with, but it all just comes down to "he said, she said". Also I didn't quarantine because I never had issues with LA when I was in the hobby back in 2008 to 2012.

JayKim

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also I was trying to buy salt, no live stock. This whole fish debacle was back in April, I've moved on.

redwhiteandink

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Finally decided to try this salt today It’s pretty good mixed clean within 20 minutes and parameters where perfect ALK 8.6 Cal 440 Mag 1350 35PPM SG my only complaint is it took more scoops of this than usual for Red Sea Coral Pro to mix up to 35 PPM

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 135 88.2%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.9%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 6 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.0%
Back