Live copepods from vendors

Aeb1419

View Badges
Reaction score
I wanted to feed my fish live pods that I will be pruchasing online. I am worried about adding the water that the pods came in, i to my tank. Is there a safer way of doing this? Im considering tommys pods as there is a good sale going on. Like to hear some thoughts

Avast

LordofCinder

View Badges
Reaction score
It would be brand new saltwater mix, not from an existing tank, so nothing to worry about. The water might sometimes be a tint of green if they add phyto to the bottle.

AlgaeBarn

Marine Aquariums Made Easy!
View Badges
Reaction score
I wanted to feed my fish live pods that I will be pruchasing online. I am worried about adding the water that the pods came in, i to my tank. Is there a safer way of doing this? Im considering tommys pods as there is a good sale going on. Like to hear some thoughts
We strain our pods from the water that they are cultured in and bottle them in fresh saltwater :)

Jay'sReefBugs

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Most use new water when shipping . If you're that concerned you can use a copepod sive or a coffee filter will work in a pinch . But I don't think you have anything to worry about personally

AS
OP
Aeb1419

Aeb1419

View Badges
Reaction score
Just got my copepod bottle for the first time. Should I be adding in the whole thing or little by little? How long do copepods live in a bottle?

fyi i dont have a refugium. I just bought to give my fish live feeding

AlgaeBarn

Marine Aquariums Made Easy!
View Badges
Reaction score
Just got my copepod bottle for the first time. Should I be adding in the whole thing or little by little? How long do copepods live in a bottle?

fyi i dont have a refugium. I just bought to give my fish live feeding
I would recommend to put the whole thing in the aquarium with the lights and flow off for about 30-45 minutes. This allows the pods to get into the rockwork crevasses and sand bed so they can reproduce for you and not all be eaten immediately.

HAVE YOU EVER BUILT A NEW HOUSE "AROUND" A NEW DREAM REEF TANK SET UP?

• Yes (tell us in the thread)

Votes: 40 15.3%
  • NO, but I would like to

Votes: 160 61.3%
  • NO, I would worry about the tank later

Votes: 52 19.9%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 9 3.4%
LA