Live Food Farms

tdileo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Since upgrading tanks, I will no longer have anything to keep me busy in my bedroom. I’d like to start up some cultures as I figured they would be a neat little thing to do, especially since I will be getting a new closet and it can be out of the way. All I can think of is macroalgae for my herbivores, copepods, phyto, and blackworms. What else could I do? I really want to set up a “rack system with like a half dozen different tanks full of live foods so that I can give my fish and corals the best stuff I can grown out of my own house.

Frogg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Figure anything out? I was thinking the same, but in just one 20 gallon. Seed it with the right things and let it run. Almost like a bottom of the food chain ecosystem.

ectoaesthetics

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My top four would be phyto (already on your list), rotifers, tigger pods (although in most parts of the country these are easier to culture in the back yard), and white worms.

If you do tigger pods in the yard you typically just need a darker colored bucket some salt water and a little bit of phyto. Occasionally top off with RODI and you are good. At night they are phytotaxic and will simply move towards any small light source.

jd371

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All you need for a White worm culture is a small container with moist dirt. Keep them in the dark and put a piece of wet bread in there every week and that's it. I started mine a few months ago. I feed my fish live Black worms and started the White worm cultivation incase the lfs ran out of Black worms, now they get both.

OP
OP
tdileo

tdileo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Figure anything out? I was thinking the same, but in just one 20 gallon. Seed it with the right things and let it run. Almost like a bottom of the food chain ecosystem.

I didn’t do anything just yet. This is for when I get around to building my new closet in my bedroom, which probably won’t until the winter. However I am thinking pods, phyto, blackworms, and whiteworms. All should be nice and simple, with the phyto being the hardest, simply due to lighting it and feeding them. Still not hard though.

sde1500

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Phyto is really simple. Bubbler, light, bottles, and some guliards to fertilize. I split mine every two weeks. It get super dark green.

jd371

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Feeding time! Black worms, White worms, Mysis and a some LRS. Here's the White worm cultivator, basically just a tupperware with moist dirt.

KgocKvOl.jpg

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 48 34.8%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 29 21.0%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 11 8.0%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.2%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 36 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.9%
Back