Live Phytoplankton

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

GoPitt88

Pitt Basketball is BACK!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So when I dose live Phytoplankton, how long should I keep my protein skimmer off for? Also, my main goal for dosing Phytoplankton is to keep my POD population up. I added a green mandarin a couple weeks ago. Should I dose the Phytoplankton after lights out, or does that even matter? Thanks [emoji16]

loui

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pitt Basketball back? Thats funny (being from Pittsburgh I can say that) Unless you plan on buying phytoplankton every week you are wasting your money. Best way to keep a mandarin alive with all due respect is to not buy one in the first place. But if you are willing to put the time in to keep it alive you will either need a large refgium or you will need to buy pods every week or you can culture your own. There are a handful R2R sponsors that have pods for sale. Of course if you have a large aquarium that has been running for a couple of years you should be good to go for a little while at least. Keeping a mandarin alive should be considered a part time job, unless you get extremely lucky and it eats pellets. You can try to hatch baby brine shrimp they are pretty easy to hatch, but you need to make sure the baby brine shrimp are well fed or you will be feeding the fish empty bags of nothing.

AlgaeBarn

Marine Aquariums Made Easy!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
So when I dose live Phytoplankton, how long should I keep my protein skimmer off for? Also, my main goal for dosing Phytoplankton is to keep my POD population up. I added a green mandarin a couple weeks ago. Should I dose the Phytoplankton after lights out, or does that even matter? Thanks [emoji16]

Hey, thank you for your patience.

We recommend keeping the skimmer off for about 2 hours after dosing. With timing for the phytoplankton, try and dose at the same time every day (typically when you feed your fish).

ESAYARKAY

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Twice now Algeabarn has left me high and dry. First time I put in the order, paid and only afterwards received an email that they were out of stock. When I finally received the items they were DOA. After giving them another chance because everyone makes mistakes and things happen, the second time they "forgot" to put my order through. I had to stand my ground for expedited shipment because at first they OFFERED to ship overnight at my expense. I have rare and expensive wrasses and was heavily relying on the pods. Definitely not going to be ordering from them again and I canceled my ongoing subscription order, as well. Now use Coral Reefing for all the products I need and not only is the service profesional and timely, they are always in stock of the items I need. I buy 6 products from them every month.

AlgaeBarn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Twice now Algeabarn has left me high and dry. First time I put in the order, paid and only afterwards received an email that they were out of stock. When I finally received the items they were DOA. After giving them another chance because everyone makes mistakes and things happen, the second time they "forgot" to put my order through. I had to stand my ground for expedited shipment because at first they OFFERED to ship overnight at my expense. I have rare and expensive wrasses and was heavily relying on the pods. Definitely not going to be ordering from them again and I canceled my ongoing subscription order, as well. Now use Coral Reefing for all the products I need and not only is the service profesional and timely, they are always in stock of the items I need. I buy 6 products from them every month.

I am so sorry to hear that you did not have a good experience with us. Can you message me your order numbers? I would like to look into this.

-Sean

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+1
Love AlgaeBarn.

Have always come through for me. Everything has always arrived alive, with the exception of one order. The phyto was pretty much plain water. Sent them pics with an email, next day I had my entire order replaced.

Although bad experiences happen, this is certainly not the norm with AlgaeBarn.

Millimylilly

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yea algae barn has always been great to deal with. Lan and the other staff are very professional. Great products!

Michael Llabona

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How big is your tank? Do you have a fuge? If you have a decent sized tank and a fuge you should be fine. If you have a smaller tank or no fuge I would recommend buying phyto and pods asap to feed and start a culture. Research how to culture pods and phyto.

Jose P

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey, thank you for your patience.

We recommend keeping the skimmer off for about 2 hours after dosing. With timing for the phytoplankton, try and dose at the same time every day (typically when you feed your fish).
Do we have to turn it off for two hours every day we feed the phytoplankton? What about my sock do o have to take that off every time I feed or can I leave that on and just turn skimmer off.?

Jose P

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am so sorry to hear that you did not have a good experience with us. Can you message me your order numbers? I would like to look into this.

-Sean
Yea AlgaeBarn you guys suck... just joking please don’t mess my next order up .. love all the great stuff I receive from you guys.. sorry the pessarium you really should give them a second chance or 3 lol 3rd time the charm..

AlgaeBarn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Do we have to turn it off for two hours every day we feed the phytoplankton? What about my sock do o have to take that off every time I feed or can I leave that on and just turn skimmer off.?

Hi Jose,

We recommend turning off your skimmer (for about 2 hours) every day you feed phytoplankton. If you do not have it on a controller, you can get something similar to one of these:
upload_2019-5-16_19-43-38.png

https://www.amazon.com/Multifunctio...s=countdown+timer&qid=1558057312&s=hi&sr=1-28

You can program it to shutoff for 2 hours(when you press the countdown button) and then come back online automatically.

With regards to the socks, you can leave them in. They are too coarse to catch phytoplankton.

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

They only carry 2 kinds of pods, rotifiers, and phyto. Also they sell 500 pods for $18.99, at @AlgaeBarn you get 5k for $45. It's your money but it would cost you $189.90 to get the same pods count as you get from @AlgaeBarn for @45. Plus @AlgaeBarn carries many different kinds of pods along with other things. That place isn't even in the same league as @AlgaeBarn.

AlgaeBarn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
They only carry 2 kinds of pods, rotifiers, and phyto. Also they sell 500 pods for $18.99, at @AlgaeBarn you get 5k for $45. It's your money but it would cost you $189.90 to get the same pods count as you get from @AlgaeBarn for @45. Plus @AlgaeBarn carries many different kinds of pods along with other things. That place isn't even in the same league as @AlgaeBarn.

Thanks for the love :):)

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 20 33.9%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 14 23.7%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 5 8.5%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 5 8.5%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 14 23.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.7%
Back