Live Reef Rock Identification

RhiD08

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi there!

I started a Fluval Sea EVO 13.5 saltwater aquarium last night. This is the link to my build thread if any of you are interested, https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/fluval-sea-evo-13-5.774661/ .

I set it up with about 12 pounds of wet live reef rock from a local Big Al's and I just wanted to find out what some of the stuff on the rock that I've found is.

On this piece of rock, there is this red, what I think is algae, near the bottom front of the rock. I just wanted to find out if this is coralline algae? I've only ever seen coralline algae as a purplish colour rather than a reddish colour.

1604988433735.png

This is the bigger piece of live rock and there is this small, white, fuzzy looking ball which I believe is some kind of sponge but again, I just want to confirm what it is and make sure that it is not a nuisance!

1604988669384.png

On the same larger piece of live rock, there is this layer of translucent white stuff that is soft and somewhat slimy. I have not been able to find anything on this except for one post that said it was a sponge? I just want to confirm what this actually is though.

1604988916935.png

Thank you for all the help and advice, I really appreciate it!

01xp

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would agree the white stuff is some kinda sponge. The red stuff I can't really see what your talking about but if you can swat it away with your hand it's cyano

Bfragale

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The red stuff is hard to see, but doesn’t look like cyanos to me. there is red coraline. Red maroon ish- pink- purple- green and maybe other colors too. So could be

the white thing is a sponge.

I do see Vermetid snail tubes.They look empty but I do see a bunch in the rocks.

Take care

OP
OP
R

RhiD08

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The red stuff is hard to see, but doesn’t look like cyanos to me. there is red coraline. Red maroon ish- pink- purple- green and maybe other colors too. So could be

the white thing is a sponge.

I do see Vermetid snail tubes.They look empty but I do see a bunch in the rocks.

Take care
Thank you! I have been keeping an eye on them but have yet to see anything. Hopefully they are all empty!

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 82 87.2%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 6.4%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 3 3.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 3.2%
Back