Live Rock and debris issues

RussianReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Started this tank about 4 months ago. Going for a macroalgae tank.
36 gallon bowfront with hob filtration and a hob fuge.
Problem I'm having is the buildup of detritus I have. The live rock I got was part of a tank teardown. I was unsure if I should scrub it clean or not so I put it in the tank as is. I have a lot of buildup in low flow areas. Any other tips to help?

20211019_194439.jpg 20211024_235044.jpg 20211024_235040.jpg

Reefing102

Metal Halides Til The End
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I probably would have rinsed the rock in fresh saltwater before hand to remove excess detritus. That said, do you have much flow around the sand bed to keep the detritus suspended? Looks like the one powrrhead I’m seeing is pointed towards the surface

OP
OP
RussianReefer

RussianReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like green hair algae, not detritus.
The green hair algae I dont mind. I mean all of the little particles that are flaking on the old live rock. Would it be harmful to take the rock out and scrape off the old algae or would that effect my bacteria?

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can pull the rock and give it a good scrub outside of the tank. Might as well hit the GHA with H202 while you are at it.

OP
OP
RussianReefer

RussianReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I probably would have rinsed the rock in fresh saltwater before hand to remove excess detritus. That said, do you have much flow around the sand bed to keep the detritus suspended? Looks like the one powrrhead I’m seeing is pointed towards the surface
I agree now looking in hindsight. I dont have any flow actively going across the sand. Just one for surface agitation. Should it be pointed more towards the sand?

Reefing102

Metal Halides Til The End
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Taking the rock out and scrubbing it, won’t harm anything as long as it’s kept moist. I usually will try to do it submerged in a bucket.

As far as power head positioning, while some surface agitation is good for gas exchange, you should have some flow around the rocks and sand to try to keep detritus suspended. If you take the rock out, you might consider a water change and vacuuming the sand bed

OP
OP
RussianReefer

RussianReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Taking the rock out and scrubbing it, won’t harm anything as long as it’s kept moist. I usually will try to do it submerged in a bucket.

As far as power head positioning, while some surface agitation is good for gas exchange, you should have some flow around the rocks and sand to try to keep detritus suspended. If you take the rock out, you might consider a water change and vacuuming the sand bed
Noted, thanks a bunch!

vinnyvidivici92

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Id recomend looking into a gyre pump, imo it moves more water then a normal power head from what ive seen and have u thought about putting in a sump? In combination with the gyre pump itll def take care of most of your detritus, there may be a couple deadspots where a powerhead would come in handy.

Last edited:

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 42 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 31 23.1%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 27 20.1%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 34 25.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back