Live rock cycling

Daenion

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got a very basic question about live rocks. I am setting up a new aquarium, do I need to cycle the live rock before I put it into the empty aquarium or just pop it in there?

Or is there a dip I need to do like the coral one to get rid of hitchhikers?

((FORDTECH))

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got a very basic question about live rocks. I am setting up a new aquarium, do I need to cycle the live rock before I put it into the empty aquarium or just pop it in there?

A lot depends on where rock came from and what you are trying g to do

((FORDTECH))

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
most would not pay premium price for live rock out the ocean and then dip it killing a lot of the bacteria you just paid for.
But let’s say the rock came from a hobbyist tank that is over run with pests then maybe it’s good idea

RocketEngineer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you’re talking about wet rock, common practice is to place directly into the new tank. Anything that was on it which dies in transit will decay, triggering the cycle. If it’s dry rock, you may need to add food for the bacteria in the form of ammonia or ghost feeding. That triggers the cycle. Either way is fine.

Remember, the goal of the cycle s to give the bacteria enough time to handle the waste load from the first fish. Over time, the cycle will become more robust as the microorganisms come into balance.

OP
OP
Daenion

Daenion

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was trying to buy base rock from TBS but I haven't heard from them in the last few days. If I dont hear anything then I will try to see if I can get something from KP. The tank will be here Monday.

SlugSnorter

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

live rock needs to be put in water as soon as possible. Life rock is dry rock.

LiverockRocks

Gulf of Mexico Living Rock Farmers
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I was trying to buy base rock from TBS but I haven't heard from them in the last few days. If I dont hear anything then I will try to see if I can get something from KP. The tank will be here Monday.
Howdy, answered your last email yesterday. Do you have other questions we can help with?

LiverockRocks

Gulf of Mexico Living Rock Farmers
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

For new aquariums, we recommend that you have the tank full of saltwater and running before ordering ocean live rock. This gives you time to confirm pumps are working and bulkheads are not leaking before the live products arrive.

Richard Londeree, founder of TBS, has been working with live rock for 40 years. His recipe for cycling new tanks is a ratio of diver harvested live sand combined with ocean harvested live rock. Adding correct proportions of these items is key to an easy cycle. The diverse microorganisms found in live sand and live rock process ammonia and provide great biofiltration. Our medium to large tank customers who order the TBS Package report 0 ammonia readings and begin their reefing adventures without the troubles caused by dry rock. This is because they order the correct ratio of live ocean products for their size system and follow the TBS Package method for cycling.

Ocean aquacultured live rock should not be cured or dipped. It should be added to the functioning aquarium upon arrival.

Hope this helps.

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.6%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 42 36.2%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 35 30.2%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 28 24.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.9%
Back