Live Rock depth

TnFishwater98

Drink more fishwater there! And I still want more!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve seen some cool pics of shallow reef tanks and they have LR above the tank and water line. Looks sweet but I wonder if there has be any negative outcomes from this type of aquscape...?...It would be cool to have the wave makers have the “waves” crash into the LR. If this isn’t a good idea, then I ask how shallow can you put live rock to the waterline?
Thanks
BD

JumboShrimp

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If your rock work goes above the waterline (and I’m assuming you mean above the level of the tank), does that mean you plan on “no” screen or glass top on the tank to keep fish from jumping?

OP
OP
TnFishwater98

TnFishwater98

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Correct, or a modified screen. Just asking about any other extra labor or possible tank headaches with exposed rock that rises above the water live. Doesn’t even gave to go above the tank if you gave a little lower water level. Just thinking outloud and thought of one thing. How to clean the above water rock..... Vacuum I guess....

Anthony Scholfield

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i have a setup where a small portion of one of the rocks is above the water line. Its low enough that the screen top still fits. It stays damp but i dont bother to clean it. I really like the look and how the water breaks around it.

ScottR

Surfing....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You’ll most likely have water splashing out of the tank. I don’t see anything wrong with having the rock slightly out of the water. How high are you thinking? There are some nice mangrove tanks like this.

Lightspeed

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Me myself, i would keep it well lower so i dont kill sponges by exposing them to air on WC's, my LR accommodates a 30% wc without having to expose anything to air, but plenty of people dont worry about that sort of thing.

Waters

"...in perfect isolation, here behind my wall."
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are some very cool mangrove setups with rock above the water line. Only issues (other than the lids not fitting) are salt creep and algae growth on the damp portions of the rock.....but that adds to the overall look of the scape.

sp1187

bird flu antidote
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
my scape breaks the surface. why? to hide the return line and to hide the gyre on that side. the opposite side is within 2" of the surface to hide the overflow, 2nd gyre and heater that doesn't fit in the sump.
apparently two of my bubbletips like it.
bubbletip x2 091920.jpg

OP
OP
TnFishwater98

TnFishwater98

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
my scape breaks the surface. why? to hide the return line and to hide the gyre on that side. the opposite side is within 2" of the surface to hide the overflow, 2nd gyre and heater that doesn't fit in the sump.
apparently two of my bubbletips like it.
bubbletip x2 091920.jpg
Do you have a pic of your scape before your sexy looking BT’s claimed territory?

cshouston

Hoopy Frood
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It may or may not be an issue, but I wonder if it might give off a noticeable odor. When I lower my water level during a water change, any exposed rock is pretty pungent in my system! Smells a bit like the beach when a bunch of algae has washed onto shore.

OP
OP
TnFishwater98

TnFishwater98

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It may or may not be an issue, but I wonder if it might give off a noticeable odor. When I lower my water level during a water change, any exposed rock is pretty pungent in my system! Smells a bit like the beach when a bunch of algae has washed onto shore.
I would use a newer rock possibly a piece of dry cleaned old live rock that would sit on LR that’s just below the surface. Possible even setting up my fresh top off water set up to run down the rock into the tank ...Just thinking out loud

92Miata

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't know where the idea came about that exposing sponges to air kills them. Yes - it kills some species - but almost none of those species make it to reef tanks. Live rock is typically shipped in newspaper - and has sponges all over it. Many of which survive.

I'd be worried about the tank smelling with exposed live rock.

It'd also be a big dead spot as far as light goes - 'shallow reef' type tanks tend to run out of space anyways - SPS will grow up to the water surface (and even a bit above it)

OP
OP
TnFishwater98

TnFishwater98

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just changed rocks This morning to get a better base on the left side. I’m going to raise that side to be at or above the water line. Still deciding

0A9D0B38-D147-4B9C-A0A3-2D19E6B64BE4.png

malnurs

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Since it is always out I would assume there wouldn't be any extra odor.

JumboShrimp

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a temporary set up (while my new tanks are being built) where the rock work extends out of the tank, through a hole in the egg-grate top. The rock portion out of the water doesn't even really get wet, much less dirty, so I would call it a 'no problem' situation, if you want to go that route. Best wishes!

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 94 87.9%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 5.6%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 4 3.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.8%
Back