live rock from lfs

Dom

Full Time Reef Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hmmmm... interesting... I never thought about quarantining live rock. I mean... can disease travel on rock?

I guess it would be a good idea so that undesirable hitch hikers have an opportunity to leave the rock before you put it in your display.

Dolelo96

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used CaribeSea Life Rock my second time around. My lfs store carries it, so I was able to pick my pieces Wasn’t taking any chances..

6FD73DB7-3293-49F3-A34C-34768C72B898.jpeg

Lights are making it look purple.

35ppt

Large Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How do I quarantine live work bought from lfs?
Put it in a tank with light, heat and flow for 45 or 76 days. 45 is considered the minimum where 76 is the safest.

Chefwheredyougo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've never thought about the QT of live rock. A quick google search has quite a few sites claiming that it can carry things such as ich and parasites. Definitely will keep that in mind in the future.

35ppt

Large Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've never thought about the QT of live rock. A quick google search has quite a few sites claiming that it can carry things such as ich and parasites. Definitely will keep that in mind in the future.
Yep, anything with a hard surface can transmit ich and whatnot but it's also a great time to trap any crabs or mantis shrimps and also deal with any pest anemone or invasive algae issues without it being in the tank. Those pests are probably of little to no concern coming from a LFS but when you order gulf rock this is a must imo.

PatW

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Most LFS I see, take what I presume is dry rock, add it to a big old vat filled with salt water and powerheads. I suppose they ghost feed. Essentially, you are paying for the rock being cured and cycled. But you can do that yourself. Now they may add supplemental bacteria, I don’t know. It probably varies from store to store. I would doubt that any of the rock has been exposed to fish, diseased or otherwise.

Now some venders took dry rock, added it to the ocean, waited 6 months and sold the live rock. What you get with that is all sorts of bacteria and critters some benign and some crazy violent like mantis shrimp.

35ppt

Large Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Most LFS I see, take what I presume is dry rock, add it to a big old vat filled with salt water and powerheads. I suppose they ghost feed. Essentially, you are paying for the rock being cured and cycled. But you can do that yourself. Now they may add supplemental bacteria, I don’t know. It probably varies from store to store. I would doubt that any of the rock has been exposed to fish, diseased or otherwise.

Now some venders took dry rock, added it to the ocean, waited 6 months and sold the live rock. What you get with that is all sorts of bacteria and critters some benign and some crazy violent like mantis shrimp.
I've never seen a LFS have a separate system for rock, it's often times a sump for some fish or coral system. But I agree it's not worth paying for. I'd rather do it myself.

Mike27t

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Interesting indeed, never thought of qt live rock. Good to know

Lenett

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My live rock is years old, but one is growing white spongy balls. also thin white flakes when tank water is moved? Any ideas? Rock is years old. new scooter blenny in, but looks good.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 101 86.3%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 6.8%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 4.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.6%
Back