Live rock hitch hiker ID- is this an anemone?

BrittneyC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bought this live rock a few months back from my LFS and last month I noticed these small things popping up. They have gotten bigger- currently the size of a pencil eraser- but have not spread to any other rocks. Any ideas on what it is?

4F125CB9-2406-4C2B-A74D-4964FB92F0F3.png

OP
OP
B

BrittneyC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Almost looks like bleached palythoas
They weren’t there when I bought the rock. The tank is a FOWLR predator tank that is kept at 67 degrees and they have continued to grow

Last edited:

DaJMasta

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you don't have much lighting and they're moving, a pest anemone is pretty likely. They don't look like traditional aiptasia to me, but their common name is glass anemone which certainly fits as a description. The body shape/striping looks a bit more like a mojano to me, but typically they have coloration as well - unless your lighting is very low, I wouldn't really expect to see it clear.

If they are anemones, they certainly could have been there when you bought the rock - they can typically scrunch up to be very small and hide out in holes.

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree with above, look like bleached palythoa's to me. Probably came in on the rock, and when conditions were favorable, they started to grow again.

Life finds a way.

Duncan62

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bought this live rock a few months back from my LFS and last month I noticed these small things popping up. They have gotten bigger- currently the size of a pencil eraser- but have not spread to any other rocks. Any ideas on what it is?

4F125CB9-2406-4C2B-A74D-4964FB92F0F3.png
Tube nems?

OP
OP
B

BrittneyC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks guys! It is in a darker part of the tank on the underside of the rock. The lights on this tank aren't rated for corals. If this rock wasn't the top of a den I would be temped to throw it in my other tank that will be a reef tank. They don't move around though. There is about 12 or so of them within a 3in area on that rock. I noticed them all at the same time so I don't think they are spreading just getting larger. I will leave them for now and see what happens

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 63 36.6%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 34.3%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 24 14.0%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 26 15.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back