Live rock question dry and wet combo

Linflas

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am fairly new to saltwater having just had my 45 gallon tank running for a year but I was able to get a good deal on a used 110 gallon tall tank and stand so I am in the process of getting ready to set it up with the goal of moving the current fish and inverts to the new tank and eventually adding some coral down the road. I purchased a Trigger Sapphire 34 for the sump and and Reef Octopus 150 classic skimmer. The tank is not drilled and is tempered glass so I will be using a EShoppes 1000 HOB overflow. I am now trying to figure out the live rock piece and I am hoping that maybe I can use dry live rock in conjunction with some of the live rock out of my current tank to start the cycling process figuring I can buy around 60 Lbs dry and add some of the live rock from my current tank moving the remainder over once the tank is cycled and ready to go. My current tank has plenty of corraline algae in it but unfortunately I have been battling the red slime for a few months now. Any advice or ideas would be much appreciated.

Soren

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My personal experience is limited, but my research would indicate that the only problem with using your existing live rock is that it brings with it whatever is currently growing on it (which also happens to be the reason you would likely want to add it).
Adding live rock with the dry rock should help shorten your initial cycle time and may add extra biodiversity that could benefit your new system.

Upvote 0

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 15 50.0%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 6 20.0%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 8 26.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 3.3%
Back