Live Rock Question

ackermsb

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am setting up a 32 G Fluval and plan on ordering some of my live rock from Florida. My questions is, does it make sense to use LFS Live Rock to get through the first few weeks of tank setup before I add some rock from KP Aquatics or US Live Rock. I want to ensure all of the critters and life that will come with the rock will be sustained vs die-off.

OR, can I just order from KP with a new tank, fresh live sand and let it cycle with the live rock from KP (some die off due to transport to Colorado).

Thanks!

OP
OP
A

ackermsb

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
But it is a new tank that hasn't been setup yet. Should I cycle with high quality rock?

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Careful. While I am all for adding as much diversity as possible you will get an ammonia spike from adding the shipped rock. You can add both sources of rock. Just don't add any other inhabitants until your parameters level off. While the stuff from KP dies off your parameters will go nuts. Wait until you're no longer getting ammonia and then do a very large water change to get the rest of your parameters right.... then give it a week and test again before adding anything living.

OP
OP
A

ackermsb

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agreed, I wasnt going to add anything for a while, at least until everything settles down. My biggest concern was spending $$$ on premium live rock and losing good hitchhikers.

Ive heard a lot of great things about KP Aquatics but has anyone have experience with US Live Rock?

Thanks

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Gulfliverock.com is another one. Besides the die off that happens that can't be avoided I've hear nothing but positives.

sbreefco

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If your new love rock is handled correctly you should have almost no ammonia spike.
I would have your tank set up and ready with plenty of water premade, but no need to add any other rock prior to receiving the aquacultured rock.
You do want to limit the time the rock is out of water, shipping submerged does add to the cost, but it reduces the die off. Once you receive the rock, check each piece out thoroughly, pull off any thing that smells bad or doesn't look healthy. Sponges are the worst offenders as they often die causing spikes in ammonia.
From there it just takes a few days off monitoring, of you add live sand at the same time, you can drastically cut the cycle time of a tank to almost nothing.

Back