OP
OP
liverock

liverock

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This was done with a Go pro on a fishing rod.....we just dropped it to the bottom and hoped !!!LOL

OP
OP
liverock

liverock

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
long gone.....was made illegal a couple of years ago....there is no more!

U

User1

View Badges
long gone.....was made illegal a couple of years ago....there is no more!

Not related to yours but I'm personally glad it is illegal. The "DRY STUFF" was horrible. I have 2 year old in my tank today and if you lift a piece out, turn it 90 degrees, it looks like it did when I placed it in from the start. It takes too long to mature. Never, ever, recommend dry rock to a hobbyist unless they are going to mature it in parallel to the overall build.

At least for me personally I will never use it again. Bad example but here in red are areas that I lifted a couple rocks to move. You see the coralline algae everyone. The red box shows bare white. I have a few rocks on the other side that are just as white.

All this rock as been in for 2 years...go figure. So yeah - my children are happy because I didn't raid their college tuition. Richard and Scott are not happy because we used Pukani, dry :) Not fault of TBS I should say. All me.

Side note - nice trick with the go-pro. Maybe I can tag alone and go diving :) Happy to wash the boat down afterwords :D

20200617_121628.jpg

Now look at the rock here that was added fresh. Two years to go from moon base 9 rock to coralline algae at the face. Nooks and crannies take a while to fill. Smash the rock back to starting over since it hasn't encrusted. Lift, turn, and back to starting over. Again no algae - nothing.

lb2.jpg

U

User1

View Badges
Looks great! Love it how some of the fish don't seem to mind and swim up to the camera checking out what you are doing.

OP
OP
liverock

liverock

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fish are very mellow underwater in their home. I routinely had small jewfish follow me around...pushing my arm out of the way to get the crabs that were exposed when I was harvesting rock. I have many resident jewfish on my site....the biggest I have ever seen anywhere.....was hanging out one day....he was longer than me stretched out with my fins on when I got next to him.....I estimate 10 foot...weight.....had to be around 1000#..plus plus ...I reached up and rubbed his back....never moved...not even a flinch...I guess when you are that big and old.....was not concerned. Pretty much all the jewfish I encounter are that way....very laid back, not skittish at all...comes from being a no harvest fish for a real long time.....they know it! LOL It would have been a new state record for sure. Sometimes there are 5-6 hanging around when I am diving...plenty of food for them there. Plus all the other species....the rock site is pretty much an oasis in the sand desert.....get a lot of cobia....and everything else that swims out there....

OP
OP
liverock

liverock

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We are....slowly....catching up on folks who have been waiting for months.......thanks to my peeps that are willing to wait for the best........when you order now you go on the list.....then when your name comes up, Deb will contact/charge/arrange the shipment for you!.....but is going to be a while if you have not already ordered.....being shut down for five months ...and the airlines operating at about 10% of the locations they used to serve....is a different world now...

sea ya

Guttersnipe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We are....slowly....catching up on folks who have been waiting for months.......thanks to my peeps that are willing to wait for the best........when you order now you go on the list.....then when your name comes up, Deb will contact/charge/arrange the shipment for you!.....but is going to be a while if you have not already ordered.....being shut down for five months ...and the airlines operating at about 10% of the locations they used to serve....is a different world now...

sea ya
Thanks for the reply. I already ordered. Can’t wait to get them. I’ve seen tanks started with your rocks and they look amazing.

U

User1

View Badges

sea ya

I was going to ask if it is a issue of man power (not enough dive days or hours to fill backlog) or if it was freight. Sounds like freight :).

When things settle down hopefully in a couple months I think it would be cool to order a box of rubble, left over stuff, to fill a 18 gallon refugium I'm setting up. Whatever garbage is left toss it in a box, give me a price, and I'll order it :)

Will give me an incentive to plumb it in since I've been resting on my laurels :D. Hope everything is going well. Safe diving!

OP
OP
liverock

liverock

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just not enough days diving.....try 5 days in a row.....makes you feel a lot older than you are....and that is old! LOL..this ain't easy folks......not like going to the store and buying a gallon of milk.....first you have to put the rock out here https://www.tbsaltwater.com/liverock/haulingrock.html then wait for years.... https://www.tbsaltwater.com/liverock/LiveRockStudy.pdf then go get it.... then hold it in a sate of the art system.....then ship it to you guys/gals.... I suspect that real live rock will be a thing of the past in a few more years....

U

User1

View Badges
Very cool.

And I do agree. It is back breaking work. And diving back to back to back is also tough regardless of age. One reason why I no longer go on the specific dive vacations anymore. While fun 3 dives a day time multiple days is rough even recreational and I always feel committed to do them all since that is why I went in the first place :)

Any hobbyist who is considering dry rock should really look at these videos. 2 years into my dry Pukani and it still doesn't look like yours outside the purple corrilane algae.

U

User1

View Badges
If you need volunteer divers I know a couple that would work for live rock....just saying..... :D

Lol. Funny you should mention that. Before I had my hip replaced in February my daughter and I was going to take the Mustang to Key West from California. I figured on the way back maybe see about buying some and bring it back with us :). Unfortunately the car was getting more difficult to get in (set up for HPED ) due to seats so sold it.

Missed out on a fun road trip and nice rock :D. I should be good to dive later in the year if not early next :).

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.6%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 42 36.2%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 35 30.2%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 28 24.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.9%
Back