Live Rock vs Dry Rock in 2 month old tank

adittam

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've got a 46 gallon tank that's 2 months old now (click on my build thread badge for pics from a couple days ago). There is a mix of algae's growing on the ~40 pounds of dry rock that's been in there for those two months as it starts to mature a tiny bit. I'm going to add another couple pieces of rock to my aquascape, and I'm curious what people would do in my case, buy a couple pieces of live rock from their LFS, or buy a couple pieces of (cheaper) dry rock?

Last edited:

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I added live rock from every LFS in the area for diversity

elorablue

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm kinda a minimalist rock kind of guy so I'd personally say you have enough already.. However there is still plenty of room for more if you want to add some. At this point after 2 months I think I would add live rock. looks good!

OP
OP
adittam

adittam

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm kinda a minimalist rock kind of guy so I'd personally say you have enough already.. However there is still plenty of room for more if you want to add some. At this point after 2 months I think I would add live rock. looks good!

I was thinking of adding one or two "rock islands" on which to put corals that I want to isolate.

OP
OP
adittam

adittam

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I added live rock from every LFS in the area for diversity

Would you quarantine the live rock in a tub with SW and a powerhead for 45 days before adding to the DT?

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would you quarantine the live rock in a tub with SW and a powerhead for 45 days before adding to the DT?
Me? Absolutely not. Others? Maybe

Kfactor

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m a minimalist scape guy too to keep good water flow in my main dt and made the scape from dry rock but added live rock to the sump

Back