Live Rock

Casket_Case

Frags in the Frathouse
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m not sure what the right topic for this is, but I got more live rock a few months ago and took some old rock out, as I got new better quality rock and there wasn’t enough room in my tank for both the old and new rock. Since then I upgraded to a forty gallon from a twenty gallon and the rock I removed before I had just let sit on the back porch. So all the bacteria and critters on it have died out and the rock is dry, but I want to put that dry rock in my forty gallon now for more structure... what should I do? It’s covered in pill bugs, some leaves, dirt, et cetera. I washed them off and cleaned them the best I could with water from a spigot but I’m worried that’s not enough. Is there any proper way to clean it? Should I just let it sit in a bucket of saltwater for a while before reintroducing?

lapin

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pressure wash it if you can. Letting it soak in salt water and do a few water changes over a few weeks to rid it of any left over organics.

OP
OP
Casket_Case

Casket_Case

Frags in the Frathouse
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’d just throw it in
I’ll try both, I’ll pressure wash then just throw it in and skip marinating it. I submerged the rock in freezing cold then steaming hot water to shock anything in it and a giant wolf spider crawled out of it... not cool for an arachnophobe. But pressure washing should take care of anything like that

OP
OP
Casket_Case

Casket_Case

Frags in the Frathouse
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would adding three chunks of the dry rock at once mess with parameters? It’s only a few pounds of rock and I have a forty gallon.

Last edited:

lapin

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The only issue you will have is fit it has phosphate or organics. Organics will create ammonia. Phosphates can feed algae. Only you know what is in that rock.

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.5%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 43 36.8%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 35 29.9%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 28 23.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.9%
Back