Live rock

liverock

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unfortunately....'live rock' definition has been misused since the dry rock phenom started for reef tanks. There is simply not enough supply of real grown in the ocean live rock in today's market. However...that is all changing as the new owners of Tampa Bay Saltwater have stepped up and are going to be the go to source for aqua cultured live rock as I was for 30 years. The first container of Walt smith rock was just buttoned up in Fiji this week and is on the way as I type this. This will be a game changing move for real live rock in an industry that is crying for it. This is really going to be good folks, real live rock for all...and is ship able worldwide as it is not on the CITIES list. I suspect this production will begin towards the end of this year. Rock will be in the water for the annual August coral spawn here in Florida, coral spat love this substrate. This is the first container of rock being buttoned up in Fiji this week, on the way to the US and Tampa Bay saltwater's new owners and
visionaries !!!!! Over 20,000 pounds in this container...and many more to follow....is going to be great...to see the process look here
Richard TBS

Attachments

• 1615657013752.png
    1615657013752.png
    284.3 KB · Views: 71
OP
OP
N.Sreefer

N.Sreefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unfortunately....'live rock' definition has been misused since the dry rock phenom started for reef tanks. There is simply not enough supply of real grown in the ocean live rock in today's market. However...that is all changing as the new owners of Tampa Bay Saltwater have stepped up and are going to be the go to source for aqua cultured live rock as I was for 30 years. The first container of Walt smith rock was just buttoned up in Fiji this week and is on the way as I type this. This will be a game changing move for real live rock in an industry that is crying for it. This is really going to be good folks, real live rock for all...and is ship able worldwide as it is not on the CITIES list. I suspect this production will begin towards the end of this year. Rock will be in the water for the annual August coral spawn here in Florida, coral spat love this substrate. This is the first container of rock being buttoned up in Fiji this week, on the way to the US and Tampa Bay saltwater's new owners and
visionaries !!!!! Over 20,000 pounds in this container...and many more to follow....is going to be great...to see the process look here
Richard TBS

Thats amazing thank you for the response! I haven't seen anyone selling real ocean rock in canada but that gives me hope! At this point id pay anything to get some maricultured rock.

TitansFan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is such great news! I remember my first TBS package many years ago. And now I am finally setting up a new large tank and can’t wait for the possible addition of this rock! Where can I go for updates to know when?

Wen

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is such great news! I remember my first TBS package many years ago. And now I am finally setting up a new large tank and can’t wait for the possible addition of this rock! Where can I go for updates to know when?
@RockShark @LiveRockLyon
Think they will be posting updates on R2R and TBS website.

Imaexpat2

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tampa Bay Saltwater is about the only reliable place to get "real" Live Rock that I have found. There may be others or occasional imports of real live rock from the pacific. There have ben a lot of regulations limiting the harvesting of wild live rock and the demand far out weighs the current supply. Thats why your seeing a lot of dry rock thrown in a vat and a couple of weeks later being sold for 7 bucks plus a pound!

I refuse to pay what they are asking for Live Rock locally when its just dry base rock that has been sitting in SW for a week or two. I aint paying the premium for what is essentally dry base rock that has been dyed to look coralline algae covered either! As such for the last couple of years now I have kept a old 55 gallon tank running thats full of Dry Base rock that I have added a few pieces of real live rock to and allowed to marinate for a year or two incase I need to set up a new tank or upgrade to a bigger one and need live rock. I also sell a little bit here and there or trade for frags I want locally as well. In fact if I can find a place to cram a 90 gallon tank I found at the dumpster, I will upgrade that 55 to that 90 as selling a few pounds of live rock (with lots of life on it) has become quite lucrative here locally. I usually have a waiting list of people wanting a few pounds to seed their tanks with.

Imaexpat2

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thats pretty pricey per a pound but if its "real" live rock and Pukani, that is some pretty choice rock based on what I have purchased previously when I ordered Pukani rock. That was a few years ago and I havent check out any since so I am not sure how good it really is these days. If you order from them, do let us know what you got per chance some of us can order some too while the getting is good! I wouldnt mind ordering a few pounds myself to drop in my Live Rock tank to create a little more diversity in critters, bacteria and Coralline Algae.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 66 37.5%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 33.5%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 14.2%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 26 14.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back