Live rock

David Whitlock

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Where is the best place to buy live rock? Which is the best live rock. I was looking at getting real reef live rock but not 100% sure.

Forty-Two

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Where is the best place to buy live rock? Which is the best live rock. I was looking at getting real reef live rock but not 100% sure.
Real reef rock is not live rock. It’s man made and they attempt to seed it with some bacteria.

it’s a poor imitation of the real thing and likely a significant contributor to algae and bacterial Blooms seen in the ‘ugly phase’ - which is essentially the first 6 months to a year of a new tank with dry rock.

Real live rock can come from a couple of different places but depends on where you live. There is a vendor (I don’t know the name) that grows it in the gulf and cultivates it. I would buy this if I had the ability but they cannot ship to my location.
The other option is to buy some from your LFS - preferably rock that was from the ocean at some point but is now really secondary live rock as it’s been in their tanks for a couple of years. This also is a good option in most cases.

fisher99

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Gulfliverock.com or post above
In my opinion you can't beat Tampa Bay Live Rock for rock that is really alive when you get it.
I started my 125 gallon tank with it and a 90 gallon 5 years ago and it made the cycle go quickly and smoothly.
I used the sand and rock. I love the life on it.

areefer01

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Already been said here. TBS is a great source and recently back online with new owner. I'm sure it will be just as good as with Richard.

KP Aquatics hasn't been mentioned but also is live rock out of Florida. I recently purchased 25 lbs from them and it was solid rock. Looked better than my 3 year old dry Pukani. Nothing can beat Mother Nature. Hitch hikers I had:

1. arrow crab
2. white / pink gorilla type crab
3. bunch of mixed sized red mithrax crab
4. sponges
5. unknown coral, plating

Would have placed an order with TBS but at the time not up fully operational or I missed it. Here is the deal with live rock. It has to be fully submerged and over night shipping. This isn't something you should try and avoid if you want to retain your investment. You are paying for the established micro fauna, biological stuff, and hitch hikers believe it or not. This reduces your initial cycle and also the maturity time of your display. Simply put - safer to put a larger variety of corals into the display, and fish, with sustainability.

Dry rock takes time regardless of what additive you put in there. Anywhere from 12 to 18 months and in my opinion, and experience having just upgraded with 170 lbs of the stuff, 36 months being more realistic of a number. And by that I mean moving rocks and seeing life on the other side, able to grow corals, etc. I'm sure people will gasp at these numbers but just look around.

TL; DR - live rock, TBS, KP Aquatics (user of), higher upfront cost, decreases time to maturity, established MICROBIOME (bold for emphasis).

CD_Scapes

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Already been said here. TBS is a great source and recently back online with new owner. I'm sure it will be just as good as with Richard.

KP Aquatics hasn't been mentioned but also is live rock out of Florida. I recently purchased 25 lbs from them and it was solid rock. Looked better than my 3 year old dry Pukani. Nothing can beat Mother Nature. Hitch hikers I had:

1. arrow crab
4. sponges

Would have placed an order with TBS but at the time not up fully operational or I missed it. Here is the deal with live rock. It has to be fully submerged and over night shipping. This isn't something you should try and avoid if you want to retain your investment. You are paying for the established micro fauna, biological stuff, and hitch hikers believe it or not. This reduces your initial cycle and also the maturity time of your display. Simply put - safer to put a larger variety of corals into the display, and fish, with sustainability.

Dry rock takes time regardless of what additive you put in there. Anywhere from 12 to 18 months and in my opinion, and experience having just upgraded with 170 lbs of the stuff, 36 months being more realistic of a number. And by that I mean moving rocks and seeing life on the other side, able to grow corals, etc. I'm sure people will gasp at these numbers but just look around.

TL; DR - live rock, TBS, KP Aquatics (user of), higher upfront cost, decreases time to maturity, established MICROBIOME (bold for emphasis).
Honestly I’ve always used KP starter rock (they less “pretty” one) shipped overnight in paper towels and it’s always been fine. Not much if really any die off

Age_of_Aquarius

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Which rock is the closest appearing to Fiji live rock that was around in the mid-nineties ? This is the last time I had a salt tank, I was 15! Starting my new tank here finally !

CD_Scapes

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Which rock is the closest appearing to Fiji live rock that was around in the mid-nineties ? This is the last time I had a salt tank, I was 15! Starting my new tank here finally !
You won’t find anything like that anymore. Closest is Caribbean live rock like already mentioned

Age_of_Aquarius

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I live in Tampa so using my local vendors would be ideal (kp aquatics, tbs, gulf live rock). How would this live rock vary from Carribean? I do not want man-made stuff that’s been aquacultured

WheatToast

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

JGT

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
KP Aquatics is top notch. Better than TBS IMO. Depending on your budget, if you can go with their premium rock and have it shipped in water it is outstanding. I did almost 300 pounds and went through no real cycle and no uglies. What I like about it while it has lotsa life yet it doesn’t come with lots of macroalgae which usually tends to die off. Really nice rock.

LiverockRocks

Gulf of Mexico Living Rock Farmers
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

1. arrow crab
4. sponges

Well said @areefer101! You just can’t beat ocean aquacultured live rock for a healthy tank environment.
Btw: KP is a great company. Gotta respect quality products and good folks.

Back