Live rock

CD_Scapes

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m trying decide between this man made Fiji rock and something like KP or TBS. which would look more like a natural reef ?
KP or TBS is old prehistoric mined reefs that were taken from the ground and set in the ocean for years (i.e. not man made)

JGT

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My vote is KP, the type and method of shipping I described. I used real Marshall island rock 25 years ago and saved it and recently added it to my tank rebuild along with KP. The KP is just phenomenal and completely natural looking.

Age_of_Aquarius

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t have my tank yet it’s being built by advanced acrylics . Since KP only has a little of their premium rock available could I buy it now and keep it in a drum covered with powerhead for about 3 weeks till
My tank gets here ? Like an extended curing process ?

CD_Scapes

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t have my tank yet it’s being built by advanced acrylics . Since KP only has a little of their premium rock available could I buy it now and keep it in a drum covered with powerhead for about 3 weeks till
My tank gets here ? Like an extended curing process ?
IMHO premium rock isn’t worth it. I always get the starter rock and the main difference is more sponge growths on premium that will die off anyways in a new

Age_of_Aquarius

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMHO premium rock isn’t worth it. I always get the starter rock and the main difference is more sponge growths on premium that will die off anyways in a new
That’s a good insight , premium is $16/pound with shipping !

The starter rock - they have plenty right now on their website. I am assuming this rock needs to be cured to rid any unwanted organisms that died in transit ? If so , how long would you suggest doing that for ?

CD_Scapes

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s a good insight , premium is $16/pound with shipping !

The starter rock - they have plenty right now on their website. I am assuming this rock needs to be cured to rid any unwanted organisms that died in transit ? If so , how long would you suggest doing that for ?
Nope I add it straight to my tank and it’s just fine. I use it to complete my cycle actually. I usually get sand and water in, let that run for a day, then since I have nanos I add a bottle or turbo start before adding the rocks. Works out perfectly for me. Here’s my most recent tank:

Attachments

• 7550ECDE-B118-4CA3-BC20-BBB07F1026A9.jpeg
    7550ECDE-B118-4CA3-BC20-BBB07F1026A9.jpeg
    185.5 KB · Views: 63

Age_of_Aquarius

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nope I add it straight to my tank and it’s just fine. I use it to complete my cycle actually. I usually get sand and water in, let that run for a day, then since I have nanos I add a bottle or turbo start before adding the rocks. Works out perfectly for me. Here’s my most recent tank:
That loosk good! You ever tried something like Real Reef Rock ?

Mastiffsrule

Where ever you go, there you are, so be nice 2 you
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I set my 60 up with Tampa Bay when Richard was running it. Rock is great. All you need to know is in my build thread. I just posted some pics today.

tautog83

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Its obvious some rocks dry or live have different surface area , some are more porous with more surface area others are like concrete. However the main difference we all seem.to agree on is the biodiversity we get from the live rock .So I was thinking (obviously this is only a viable option to a select group) I'm just going to put a marine pure block and about 10 marine pure spheres into my friends tank for 3 months before my tank is ready .so when I finally fill my tank up with dry rock I should have some good diversity of bacteria growing on those marine pure blocks . I'm aware it will take some time to spread on the rock but in theory that seems like the best alternative to live rock filled with potential bobbitt worms , pistol shrimp, gorilla crabs . What do you guys think ? I agree that live rock is still the best but I feel like this might be the best way to start with dry rock

CD_Scapes

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its obvious some rocks dry or live have different surface area , some are more porous with more surface area others are like concrete. However the main difference we all seem.to agree on is the biodiversity we get from the live rock .So I was thinking (obviously this is only a viable option to a select group) I'm just going to put a marine pure block and about 10 marine pure spheres into my friends tank for 3 months before my tank is ready .so when I finally fill my tank up with dry rock I should have some good diversity of bacteria growing on those marine pure blocks . I'm aware it will take some time to spread on the rock but in theory that seems like the best alternative to live rock filled with potential bobbitt worms , pistol shrimp, gorilla crabs . What do you guys think ? I agree that live rock is still the best but I feel like this might be the best way to start with dry rock
See but the chances of gorilla crabs are very slim and Bobbit worms are nearly nonexistent nowadays in Florida LR. Really the "worst" is a pistol shrimp or urchin and the urchins are so easy to pick off. Pistol shrimp will just be a popping sound every once and a while. Idk I will forever use live rock now

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 74 37.4%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 68 34.3%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 12.6%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 29 14.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.0%
Back