Live rock

Kraig

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thought I'd reach out for suggestions and/or opinions from some local reefers. I'm getting ready to put together my first saltwater tank. 40 gallon breeder. I am wanting to do a few fish (keep it within reason for a small tank) and softies and maybe some lps.

I'm am trying to decide between live rock and dry rock. I've read a lot of arguments for and against both. That can be overwhelming. I wanted to ask if anyone here had an opinion, and if for live rock, is there a good local source to buy some?

Thanks for the help!!

Ultraman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It can be done both ways. You’ll eventually get aiptasia and planaria no matter how clean you areI’m of the opinion that real liverock is the way to go. Worse case scenario, maybe half live and half man made. Finding it is the real challenge as importing live rock all but disappeared a few years ago. There is some boat rock coming in these days but it’s out of the water so long that pretty much everything dies on it. I’d try to find a local reefer or three to sell you a piece and expect to pay them $5-10/pound if it’s live and they’re willing to part with it.

welcome!

jhuntstl

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What's your budget?

I think you'll likely see more success your first year with as much live rock as possible. Pests are easier to manage than a lot of the algae and bacterial issues you can face using all dry.

Look into Florida aquacultured live rock. I recently got a couple lbs off an ebay vendor and it's been a great experience. There are more reputable vendors like salty bottom reef, kp aquatics, and gulf live rock. I got the premium stuff. It was covered in macro algae, sponges, clams, and coralline.

I'm not sure what the local LFS are selling as live rock nowadays. I'm guessing it's just dry rock that's been sitting in their sumps or something.

mjcoussens

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There's lots of ways to be successful setting up a new tank. I'd recommend a blended approach to save some cash. I set up my 150 with 90% dry rock from KP Aquatics and the rest came from my previous 40 gallon setup and had been wet for 7 years. After 6 months, you couldn't tell the difference. 18 months in and it's impossible for me to tell.

1635248498098.png

1635248538982.png

I've been meaning to list my leftover rock taking up space in my frag system and sump. PM me and we can probably work out a deal that puts established rock in your tank and frees up real estate in my system.

OP
OP
Kraig

Kraig

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There's lots of ways to be successful setting up a new tank. I'd recommend a blended approach to save some cash. I set up my 150 with 90% dry rock from KP Aquatics and the rest came from my previous 40 gallon setup and had been wet for 7 years. After 6 months, you couldn't tell the difference. 18 months in and it's impossible for me to tell.

1635248498098.png

1635248538982.png

I've been meaning to list my leftover rock taking up space in my frag system and sump. PM me and we can probably work out a deal that puts established rock in your tank and frees up real estate in my system.
Thanks mjcousens. I tried to start a conversation. I'm new to this site so not sure how to pm. When I hit send it told me I had to start a conversation with a staff member. Do I have to include a staff member on our PM?

mjcoussens

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks mjcousens. I tried to start a conversation. I'm new to this site so not sure how to pm. When I hit send it told me I had to start a conversation with a staff member. Do I have to include a staff member on our PM?
I'll send you a message.

LiverockRocks

Gulf of Mexico Living Rock Farmers
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
What's your budget?

I think you'll likely see more success your first year with as much live rock as possible. Pests are easier to manage than a lot of the algae and bacterial issues you can face using all dry.

Look into Florida aquacultured live rock. I recently got a couple lbs off an ebay vendor and it's been a great experience. There are more reputable vendors like salty bottom reef, kp aquatics, and gulf live rock. I got the premium stuff. It was covered in macro algae, sponges, clams, and coralline.

I'm not sure what the local LFS are selling as live rock nowadays. I'm guessing it's just dry rock that's been sitting in their sumps or something.
Hey, don't forget TBS in the list of reputable aquacultured live rock vendors. ;)

Lance A. Lot

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think the best way to go is all dry rock to prevent pests etc. That being said I’ve never had the patients for it and the times I’ve done it at work it seems to take the tank forever to hit its stride.

G Santana

Hospitality Elf
View Badges
Reaction score
https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/this-little-pigg
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
From my experience live rock shortens your time to tank maturity depending on quality and dry rock will insure that you start pest free.

But neither guarantees success, dry rock can become infested if you're not careful and live rock tanks can get ugly if you don't practice good husbandry.

6 of one half a dozen of another.

Good luck with your build

OP
OP
Kraig

Kraig

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
From my experience live rock shortens your time to tank maturity depending on quality and dry rock will insure that you start pest free.

But neither guarantees success, dry rock can become infested if you're not careful and live rock tanks can get ugly if you don't practice good husbandry.

6 of one half a dozen of another.

Thanks! I am trying to learn not just how to set up a tank and get it going, but what it means and what is entailed for good husbandry. I haven't done this much reading since college!

G Santana

Hospitality Elf
View Badges
Reaction score
https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/this-little-pigg
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks! I am trying to learn not just how to set up a tank and get it going, but what it means and what is entailed for good husbandry. I haven't done this much reading since college!
You may want to look up BRS 52 weeks of reefing. They are a series of short videos that break down various reefing steps and techniques.

OP
OP
Kraig

Kraig

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You may want to look up BRS 52 weeks of reefing. They are a series of short videos that break down various reefing steps and techniques.
Thank you for the suggestion. That is one of the references I have used. I watched and took notes. Very interesting series.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 116 87.9%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 6.1%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 3.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.3%
Back