Live RockNReef Live rock? Dangers ?

Polyp Punk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hey reefers,
So i decided i am definitely going with the Waterbox 15g peninsula. My old 75 gallon tank i used dry rock and it worked out well but this time around i was thinking about going with some real live rock since its a small tank and i will only need a few pounds. How is Live RockNreef live rock ? Their rocks look beautiful but i see it comes with some plant matter on the rocks as well as corals and critters. Is it a risk to put these rocks in our tanks ? Are there chances that i can get some unwanted algae or pests introduced into my tank from these types of rock or should i just go with carib sea life rock ? What are your thoughts Thanks !
;Turtle ;Turtle

Rhoads238

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used live rock n reef for my last tank. No matter what you get there will be die off, so curing the rock in saltwater won't be a bad idea. There is definitely a chance of getting unwanted pests from live rock, however if you don't quarantine everything, there will always be that chance. Live rock has the upside of biodiversity and the tank should mature faster then dry rock. I really liked how the live rock made the tank seem more natural, i felt like i was always seeing something new in the tank in terms of pods, worms ect. This time i'm going with dry rock because i want to try to avoid pests and qt everything that goes in the tank. It's one of those things you really have to weigh the pros and cons.

Reef man 89

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My first tank was all dry rock and HATED it. Took way to long for it to become stable. The tank I have now was set up with 60lbs of kp live rock airship in water. I will NEVER NEVER NEVER set up a tank with out live rock again. Everyone is so worried about pests but 99 percent of them can be managed. I had a tiny cycle when I started the tank. Plus the life on it is crazy from red matrix crabs/ countless brittle stars/ pods / urchins it’s just amazing. The only pest I have seen so far was 2 fireworms but those were nothing to get out. Just wanted to share my opinion

OP
OP
Polyp Punk

Polyp Punk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My first tank was all dry rock and HATED it. Took way to long for it to become stable. The tank I have now was set up with 60lbs of kp live rock airship in water. I will NEVER NEVER NEVER set up a tank with out live rock again. Everyone is so worried about pests but 99 percent of them can be managed. I had a tiny cycle when I started the tank. Plus the life on it is crazy from red matrix crabs/ countless brittle stars/ pods / urchins it’s just amazing. The only pest I have seen so far was 2 fireworms but those were nothing to get out. Just wanted to share my opinion
is KP better than the live rocknreef ?

clifg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
is KP better than the live rocknreef ?
Different user than who you asked and I can't speak for rock reef, but I used KP as well. I chose it because they shipped it direct to my door submerged in water. Didn't have to go to the airport to pickup and the rock went straight into my tank just like any other livestock would. Similar experience, toooonns of micro brittle stars and a couple fireworms that were easy to trap and remove.

rockdiver

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used rock and reef for my first shipment and then I used Gulf Live Rock for my 2nd shipment.
Both I had flowen to me in water
Both were excellent with tons of life mostly good stuff actually haven't seen really anything bad lots of curley q's that's about the worse I have seen.
Was going to use KP but they never responded back to me
Here's a few pictures from when the lights came on this morning
I also purchased live sand
I think no matter who you go with will be good.
I got more buildable rock from Gulf then reef n rock but I also asked for more ledge type rock from them

Attachments

• 16127053924166334559508425915375.jpg
    16127053924166334559508425915375.jpg
    287 KB · Views: 82
  • 16127054466312448265619104822836.jpg
    16127054466312448265619104822836.jpg
    276.1 KB · Views: 89

PSU4ME

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
KP rock shipped in water is very good imo. I have 40# right now in qt and I see something new each time.

For a small tank I would definitely go this route. Let it QT in your DT before you add fish and you’ll be set

Timfish

Crusty Old Salt
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As mentioned above be sure to get air freight and if you can afford it have it shipped in water. As far as pests BTAs have caused far more problems in my tanks than the aiptasia/curly que anemonies on live rock. Like anything else liverock should be QT before adding to your display system. And FWIW the majano. red planria, and parasitic flatowrms and nudibranch problems I've had have come from stuff I've gotten from other aquarists. I feel safer getting maricultured live rock than I do getting stuff from other aquarists

rockdiver

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is a shot of my 30 gallon that has been going for about 8 months that I used fake dry rock and when I got my shipment for my 120 I put a few pcs into the 30 the branch rock is fake the live rock is the really purple stuff flat pcs. Still don't know what the mushroom type things are on the top. The bubble tip Rose went right to it when I put it in and then split.
Definitely go with one of the live rock guys imo

Attachments

• 1612707613769786294907659534349.jpg
    1612707613769786294907659534349.jpg
    227.1 KB · Views: 87

Rhoads238

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
An upside to dry rock I forgot to mention is you can really take your time with aquascaping. It doesn't have to be in water while you're doing it. Taking each rock in and out of a tank full of water makes a big mess and you're under pressure to get it done to preserve as much of the life on the rock as possible. Something thats really popular with dry rock right now is to hammer the prices into smaller ones and cement them back together into freeform branching shapes.

OP
OP
Polyp Punk

Polyp Punk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@PSU4ME How long are you planning on quarantining your live rock?
i prob wont quarentine the live rock only because its literally going to be the first and only think in my new tank for a few months while it cycles.. still on the fence about all of this ...im thinking of maybe carib sea life rock as well it might be safer

Thaxxx

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Another thread on live rock???
Why not just use the one you started on January 20th?

PSU4ME

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m QT’ing for about 7 weeks at 81 degrees. So far so good. Adding this to an established tank so it’s on the sidelines at the moment

Fusion in reefing: How do you feel about grafted corals?

• I strongly prefer grafted corals and I seek them out to put in my tank.

Votes: 2 3.4%
  • I find grafted corals appealing and would be open to having them in my tank.

Votes: 35 60.3%
  • I am indifferent about grafted corals and am not enthusiastic about having them in my tank.

Votes: 15 25.9%
  • I have reservations about grafted corals and would generally avoid having them in my tank.

Votes: 5 8.6%
  • I have a negative perception and would avoid having grafted corals in my tank.

Votes: 1 1.7%
Back