Live rocks has been in sw bucket for 6 months no flow or heater

page

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had about 30 lbs of live rocks sitting in my buckets full of sw w lids on from the tank i used to have 6 months ago. I sold and tore everything apart, live rocks were the only ones left to me and I am planning to start a new tank. I already bought a new live rock from the lfs to cycle my new tank I am a week in, in my cycling process but i was wondering if i could throw my old live rocks in there and hopefully regain all the good bacteria that was lost.

Jay'sReefBugs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had about 30 lbs of live rocks sitting in my buckets full of sw w lids on from the tank i used to have 6 months ago. I sold and tore everything apart, live rocks were the only ones left to me and I am planning to start a new tank. I already bought a new live rock from the lfs to cycle my new tank I am a week in, in my cycling process but i was wondering if i could throw my old live rocks in there and hopefully regain all the good bacteria that was lost.
No expert but I think they needed flow and some type of temperature to cure the rock . Why not restart the cure process if it's not a big rush ? 30 pounds is quite a bit of rock to just to give up on

Alvaro_Spain

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That rock is not gonna be "alive", but not "dead" either. I´d throw it in the tank with the new one. Put the skimmer on. And let it mature all together.

Think that some of the "live" rock we get spends weeks in containers wrapped in newspapers and without water... your rock is gonna be problably more alive than that.

OP
OP
P

page

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That rock is not gonna be "alive", but not "dead" either. I´d throw it in the tank with the new one. Put the skimmer on. And let it mature all together.

Think that some of the "live" rock we get spends weeks in containers wrapped in newspapers and without water... your rock is gonna be problably more alive than that.
That’s what i was thinking too, let the old rocks mature with the new ones that are in the tank already. Since there are no live stock in there yet, But i reckon that would take a longer cycling period if i am not mistaken.

((FORDTECH))

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s what i was thinking too, let the old rocks mature with the new ones that are in the tank already. Since there are no live stock in there yet, But i reckon that would take a longer cycling period if i am not mistaken.
If you left live rock in a bucket with salt water and no flow or heat I’m sure it is rotting from all the bacteria they has died

OP
OP
P

page

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you left live rock in a bucket with salt water and no flow or heat I’m sure it is rotting from all the bacteria they has died
There was definitely a lot of die offs but it seems as the rocks did not smell nor the water.

((FORDTECH))

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There was definitely a lot of die offs but it seems as the rocks did not smell nor the water.
Put a pump and heater in for 24 hours to rinse, then in the tank.
Don’t do this it will be a mistake that rock internal has got to be rotting. Pods and worms and bacteria can not live 6 months with no flow and heat. At the very least check nitrate and phosphates of the water that is in there. This will make my decision

Alvaro_Spain

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Put a pump and heater in for 24 hours to rinse, then in the tank.
Change out that stank water and give it some flow for a few days.
I understand the concerns of ((Fordtech)) but as the others mention. I´d put a pump and a heater there and maybe brush the surface of the rocks. I´d change the water a couple times and then I´d use it in the tank.

It´s true that you´ll run in issues because of the organic matter on and in it, but I think the benefits outweight the cons in my opinion. I´d use it if it was mine.

reefinatl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Throw a maxijet in there with a heater. Test the water in a week to see what you got. I find it interesting nobody has asked the question of the temperature its been stored at. So what has it been at? If it hasn't been absolutely frigid the bacteria probably already probably did its thing on all the dead stuff.

Ta2oodfreak

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I set up my lagoon I took some from my long established 180G and a larger chunk from storage just like yours. I rinsed it and put it in. A few weeks later I had a algae bloom on the rock from storage but not the other rocks. But my blenny and snail gang are enjoying it.

Back