LIVE SALES.... Are they losing their "deep discounts"???

ZoWhat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
LIVE SALES.... Are they losing their "deep discounts" appeal ????

It seems to me (and I'm sure many will say I'm wrong) that Live Sales a year ago use to regularly offer some major major discounted frags at 75% off or more.

I'm talking LS Vendors would in many cases offload overstock coral by selling many posted items for $20-$30 that were $80-$100 corals. And at a regular pace thruout the LS event.

It seems in the last few months, most Live Sale corals are being offered up are only at a mild 20-25% discount. Not exactly the huge savings that were regularly offered over a year ago.

Have R2R Vendors changed their Live Sale approach to offering 25% off with only sprinkling one or two $5 frags per hour?

Have Live Sales LOST their deep discounted appeal? I say YES.

Last edited:

The_Harris_co

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’d have to agree. I don’t find the live sales to be a good deal. I wasn’t here a year ago but really the big box stores are already over priced so even the measly 20-25 percent off is still almost more than local. Then calculate in the fact you have to pay $40+ for shipping and it’s not even a deal. It’s a high speed situation where you don’t have time to think and so you make a quick decision and it’s not always good.

ajhudson15

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree. live sales were a huge discount. I got a frostbite bounce mushroom from wwc when they were huge for only $90 when they sold for 200 at the time. I think since most vendor do these every couple months now it has really affected the pricing. they are don't way to much in my opinion

TheHarold

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow.... crickets

Even when they say 80%, if you navigate to their site and actually compare the normal price, its just around 20%. Stores just mark up the "normal" cost to make it seem like a better deal and encourage impulse buys. Think about it: would any business actually be profitable if they sell their items at 80% off "normal" price?

Sorry if you didn't want to know that, lol.

The_Harris_co

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Even when they say 80%, if you navigate to their site and actually compare the normal price, its just around 20%. Stores just mark up the "normal" cost to make it seem like a better deal and encourage impulse buys. Think about it: would any business actually be profitable if they sell their items at 80% off "normal" price?

For something they are fragging yea they would still make money. If they are a middle man then probably not. Also if it’s a piece that’s not moving and just taking up frag rack space selling for anything is better than not selling at all.

Sorry if you didn’t want to know that.

ajhudson15

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I have said this for years even in normal grocery store. prices get marked up a month in advance and trick you into making you think its a good deal

TheHarold

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For something they are fragging yea they would still make money. If they are a middle man then probably not. Also if it’s a piece that’s not moving and just taking up frag rack space selling for anything is better than not selling at all.

Sorry if you didn’t want to know that.
Im just suggesting you compare the price to other sites before you make the purchase. It’s not actually 75-80% off.

melanotaenia

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been disappointed in every live sale that has been done. None of the prices in these recent live sales are worth purchasing; then they force a 30-40$ shipping fee, so what if you only win one coral? That sucks.

The_Harris_co

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im just suggesting you compare the price to other sites before you make the purchase. It’s not actually 75-80% off.

Yeah for sure. Honestly probably closer to 50% off and the nice pieces are probably accidental frags that are smaller than the full price pieces. Which all leads to the fact it’s not a great deal

The_Harris_co

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been disappointed in every live sale that has been done. None of the prices in these recent live sales are worth purchasing; then they force a 30-40$ shipping fee, so what if you only win one coral? That sucks.
Exactly. Once you buy one piece your almost forced to buy 5-6 more at some unappealing price to balance out the shipping or you just really pay double for the one piece. Its trickery

KStatefan

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would expect prices to continue to rise when sale items are sold instantly when posted.

tehmadreefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agreed. That's why LS participation is way down compared to previous years.

Additionally the last wwc LS they had more items not sold than ever before according to their post for their aftersale.

Bigwrasse

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The last one from WWC was a joke. The same few corals posted again and again at a rate of 50 percent over priced. Hollywood stunner,Gsp,Xenia and clove polyps should never be posted in a live sale. That stuff is trash and I wouldn’t put it in my tank if they payed me

Oldreefer44

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I no longer participate either. The vendors wouldn't do them if they weren't beneficial to them. They get to sell a whole bunch of stuff all in one or two days versus sporadic sales during normal business operations thus being able to concentrate labor much more efficiently. They get the added benefit of people competing against each other to "win" certain pieces. To me this is just like the controversy about the high prices of corals in general. If people didn't participate/ buy, then they wouldn't be popular and worth the sellers while.

OP
OP
ZoWhat

ZoWhat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Think about it: would any business actually be profitable if they sell their items at 80% off "normal" price?

Actual I think some LS vendors do actually sell corals at 75-80% off bc they are severely overstocked on a particular genre.

Or they've been sitting on a coral for so long they are tired of throwing maintenance costs (salt, lighting) that they want it gone.

The_Harris_co

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The last one from WWC was a joke. The same few corals posted again and again at a rate of 50 percent over priced. Hollywood stunner,Gsp,Xenia and clove polyps should never be posted in a live sale. That stuff is trash and I wouldn’t put it in my tank if they payed me

Yeah it’s like they reposted the same garbage 100 times. Never seen so many standard hammers or Xenia in my life. Like people don’t buy gsp for live sales. Yet they still didn’t “give them away”. I’ll be in Orlando for Black Friday and I’m really debating even going to wwc or tsa because i feel like it’s just another gimmick to rip people off

tehmadreefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agreed, however those sales are geared more towards newbies and thise trash pieces sell immediately. People were even complaining they couldn't get any.

Back